Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
More pictures it is then. Some of what I was going to post would look like the same picture over and over so that is why I said I would not bore you all with them. I am up to 45 pictures on this project so far.
I usually like to leave my models as intact as possible. That is why you will see the imperfections that were in the model when first made or they are from past play wear. To me they have meaning and show that someone loved them and played with them a long time ago. Makes them more personal if you ask me. Therefore you see the marks around the front window from the slightly improper casting. You hardly notice that when you have the model in hand. We all know the Digital camera if better than the human eye.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #32

Good job on the putty. How does it look from the inside?

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Thread post #17, third picture shows what it looks like inside. I still have not decided what to do with some of the base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Putting the base aside for the moment, I have painted the colors on the caravan combo. Let me know what you think.
I painted the top half a light blue and then masked it off. The lower will be dark blue.
screenshot program
windows 7 screen shot
This Tamiya Tape sticks the best for this kind of two tone paint job. Only a little paint gets under it as you will see.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Back of the caravan is completely covered and you can see that I have masked off the base plate and the wheels and axle.

Now lets give it a second color.

The rest of the paint looks pretty much like this side.

I will have some touch ups, I know.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
The flash sure sparkles off that blue paint on the front fenders.
Here she is unmasked.
boy names cute unique

And of course, the back end.

Now I will do some of the touch ups and add the details. Then I will figure out the base and what I am going to do with the interior. I can see dark blue paint inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Just for your information I started this project with cutting the caravan front off. That was back on Dec. 28, 2008 and the truck was started on March 10, 2009. This has been a very slow process. On Nov 18, 2018 I got back into this truck caravan project ans started with cutting the base plate for the Caravan so it would fit in the truck.
windows 7 screenshot
You can see the cuts I made.

Fitting

Here it it ready for stripping and painting.
And all fit into the truck and caravan to make sure it fits correctly. Then I painted it. I have shown these before in this thread but I thought a reminder was in order.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
The caravan is fixed to the truck with Milliput and super glue. I had to fit the axle and hubs with tires before I assembled it as I have no way of doing that after it is all together. I did not want to cut out the skirts or spats for the wheels so I could dome the axle ends. Takes away from the over all looks in my opinion to to that.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
I assume the wheels stay on the axle ends is down to the sides of the caravan body, the base plus the wheel arches are all appearing to do their job of keeping the non-domed axle ends in their place.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #40

It looks very good Jim. I like the colors you have chosen. Another fine project coming to a close!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #41

Expert Boarder
<p>Following this topic with great interest.</p>
<p>I think you end up with a very nice code 3 build.</p>
<p>I made one with some other parts,</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #42

Platinum Boarder
Looking good.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
AADA I had though about doing mine as separate units on one chassis but decided on this way for my first attempt at something like this. I have another truck camper in the works too but have no idea when that will be worked on again. Different truck and camper too.

Yours looks great and I like the Yellow side treatment you did on the camper. Very low key and suits the truck very will with the hubs being Yellow.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
I have some detailing done now. I have to touch it up yet and have done the dark blue on the side of the hood where it meets the top of the hood on both sides. I have a bit of light blue to do yet too plus the tail lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
Yes, I have over spray on the spun hub I have to remove. I also see I need a second coat of silver on some places. That's digital cameras for you.