Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
As I said, I painted the truck and caravan.
[/url]

At this stage of the game I have glued the caravan to the back of the cab and to the chassis at the wheel wells.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
For me, the next part is the hardest. I have not worked with a substance quite like Milliput in this type of repair. I have used body filler (fiberglass 2 part mix) and other automotive fillers but not this fine. You also have to cut equal parts and kneed together for 5 minutes or so to mix. The extra fine I have the two colors are almost the same to hard to tell when fully mixed. It looked good after about 3 minutes so I started filling in the holes between the two parts. Went not too bad but had lots squish inside and had to get that out and it also really stuck to my fingers. It comes off easily though.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
I had a play with Milliput a while back..it is nice and squishy when u first get it going!

A bit like play dough as a kid, brings back memories.

I see the decision to paint the cab black makes it much easier to see the filler against it will be rock hard when left overnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here you see the guy at work who said to me I am doing a difficult job.....</p>
<p>Great combination Jim, the two parts match very well!</p>

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Well. Play Dough was long before my time. I never played with it even when my kids had it. Black makes it much easier to see what your doing than bare mazak or grey primer. It is all grey now that I am almost finished with the putty. Takes some time as the Milliput does not lay in smooth like the auto body fillers I am used to. It goes on and sticks well but is sort of lumpy. You can see that in the photos above.
Kees, this is the project of which I spoke. Not really hard once you start on it and think it through. Wheels and axles and trimming the caravan parts was the hardest so far. They Milliput has model putty on it to fill in after sanding. Still lots or holes then too.
Maybe I did not blend it by kneading enough but it was starting to get hard and loose its stickiness.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
<p>Going to look great when finished , a lot of "New Age Travellers" live in these types of conversions in England.</p>

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Compared to a home I am sure the cost is way less. If you can handle the small space to live in you can go anywhere you want. Fair to fair etc., where you work or when you visit relative you don't have to live with them while there, LOL

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
NOBLECO, Nice project. I would have used the two front supports and back support, the original base and as you once suggested to me, a sardine can as more base plate and fashioned as a horseshoe to mount to the truck chassis with those 6/32 screws. Taping the bottom of the diecast truck chassis for the screws to hold the base-plates as well as using original rivet bosses in the caravan front 2 and rear 1. But that is my way. GOD made us different so we do things differently and it still works out. Nice work to now. I can't wait to see finished Travel Van.

dinkyboy

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I had tried to leave as much of the caravan body as I could but the two front posts were in the way. I would have to cut them out or cut out the back of the cab to accommodate that. It would also put the cab further back than it would need to be to align the wheels in the chassis and caravan to the fender wells and the curve on the caravan match up. Otherwise I would have to cut the chassis and lengthen it.
I have been pondering this build for quite some time and I brought it out from time to time just to look at. You are correct in that I could make a larger base plate and I think I will as there is too much showing of the inside of the bottom of the caravan. This might mean cutting the chassis sides off so the base is flush. Also means I have to lower the wheels in the caravan to they actually show instead of being up inside the caravan body. In the end I decided to go with the two bases cut up to fit the tabs the front base slides into to hole the back of it. I still have to figure out how to hide the base opening though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
So, after I filled it and fixed a couple of holes I gave it a coat of primer.
upload my pictures

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
As you can see above my second coat was better than the first. Another coat of filler, this time putty.
Getting better.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
I still don't like it. More putty.

I won't bore you with a bunch of pictures of basically the same thing. Suffice it to say, I did this a few times before I was satisfied. The imperfections got smaller and smaller each time.
Here is the last time before I did a last primer.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I am now happy and it is primed

It now has its first coat of paint on the top half. This will be a two tone camper.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
<p>You are not bothering me with more pictures. We could vote for that: who wants more or less pictures?</p>
<p>Nonetheless the model is coming on nicely. At first you see two parts of separate models, but the more work you do to it, the more it becomes one model now. I like that lower angle of the front windows.</p>

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
The more pictures the better