Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build

Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here I go with a project I started a couple years ago and got back into it a year ago. I dropped it for about 10 months and started up again in November.</p>
<p>It came with the purchase of a lot of spares for shipping cost. I think it cost about $10 for the lot of eBay back in 2009. After It arrived it gave me an idea when it arrived.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I bought this lot for the Caravan, Dodge truck and the tipper box thinking I had a project with the truck and box. I did not. I still have a number of these but the cabs and red truck are gone and so are both tipper boxes. Sold to people who wanted them on eBay.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
These are the two from the picture above that I chose to work with.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I actually used this caravan as a caravan for one of my car caravan pairs I like so much. It was in rather good condition. I had another one I got cheap off ebay to use instead.
screen shot on pc

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
First I cut off the front as I don't need that part. There are posts in the front for structural support of that area, I cut them out too.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Next I stripped the paint off.
bank of america atm near me right now

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I had to cut more off the top front of the caravan so it would fit with the other half of the project.

I also had to trim up some one the inside for the axle at the rear. I can't use what is provided in the caravan

This Postimage keeps wanting to put advertising at the end of some posts. Watch for this and delete it between the two /url tags.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #8

this will be an interesting build.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Next I stripped the truck chassis and body. It is a single unit.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Before stripping the truck I had to figure out what to do with the base plates. I think I have a solution.
Here is what I have to work with.

Some cutting and fitting is in order here to make it work.
free online image hosting
You can see that it is slotted into the base and up to the point where the truck base get held in place by two tabs in the chassis. You can see them in the last picture in my above post #P

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Here are the two base plates in the chassis if the truck. They seem to fit well.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>A few more steps need to be taken. Caravan body must fit and I also have to figure out the axles, hubs and tires. The truck and caravan came with 15mm smooth standard Dinky tires. No my choice for this truck. Here is an early mock up. Axle had to have the end cut off and sized to fit the caravan. The caravan comes with blind axles, meaning blunt flat ends to fit in the carriage the ride in. You can see this in the photo. Red circles are around where they axle rides.
</p>
<p>In the next photo you can see where I had to cut and grind off the support for the axle.
greenshot screen captureHere is a look at what it will be.
</p>
<p>Another look from the rear.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #13

That is a very interesting build. I wonder how your are going to fill up the space between the cab and the caravan. Filler or a piece of metal?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
You will see in upcoming pictures.
The hard part was getting the caravan placed just so for the wheels and axle to look like they are in the correct position. The caravan likes top move when your placing it so I have to be careful. It is together now but it took me a bit to get it just right.

Re: Dinky Caravan Truck combination Code 3 Build 2 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Some of my pictures above are a bit out of order but it really does not matter much.
Now that I have the the caravan mated to the truck you can see that I have the wheels and axles in. I had to cut up the caravan base (shown above - post #10) up to help join the two parts to make it solid.
post image
After soaking in vinegar over night I got the old paint off. I then painted the body and base plates in gloss black and the caravan I did in primer. Just so I can see the condition of the body after I put them together. You have to make sure the base plates fit and that the wheels and axles will fit, work properly and NOT fall out.

You can see above that it all fits pretty good. Rear axle is inside the body of the caravan. I don't need the front axle and wheels yet for the fitting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL