Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #136

Platinum Boarder
<p>Although I see tiny marks UNDER each front window, the owner mentioned to try and put the wipers on the ridge of the roof. It was better to glue the wipers to the windows first and then glue the complete unit in the shell. I searched for side mirrors, and as I have a lot of those, I found the best ones hereby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
image host</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #137

Platinum Boarder
<p>I cut off the ´axle´ of each wiper because that part was not needed. The wipers had to stick out of the top of the windows slightly.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Keesie.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #138

Platinum Boarder
<p>I then glued in the windows and secured them with elastic bands. When done I drilled very small holes BY HAND on the sides where the mirrors wil go.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #139

Platinum Boarder
<p>One front window was a little bit higher up than the other, moved into place.</p>
<p>
photo hosting</p>
<p>Handgrips made of a paper clip,</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Mirrors placed, footsteps made and placed (thanks DD), orange light painted on (right side and both fronts were missing).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
afbildingen</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #140

Platinum Boarder
Now this is starting to look like a truck that is worth the price you say people pay for this. I for one would not but then I am not into resin models at all, nor big trucks other than what Dinky and some of what Corgi put out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #141

Platinum Boarder
I have a few resin cars, but no truck as far as I know of!

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #142

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks guys. I came to the conclusion (at an early stage) I do not like to work on resin models either, but just watching the model it could be diecast as well. As we say though: the customer is king, and he is paying the bill. I would never pay that price for it either.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #143

Kees, the window surrounds do bother me a bit.The strips I showed you in a previous post are very thin, I think 1mm wide maximum. I think you can buy them at Action.
In my opinion they work better, don't you think

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #144

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks for giving your honest opinion Theo. As you figured, I am not 100 % satisfied either. I cut those strips with scissors, and then I took the thinnest parts. Ok, you will not believe what small amount of money the owner and I agreed on. For that I cannot afford to have paint mixed or buy extra parts. I found it a real challenge to do, but as you figured, more and more things came up which needed doing. I showed the pictures to the owner and he is satisfied. Also bear in mind these windows took a lot of time to make. So......I will leave them like this.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #145

Platinum Boarder
The camera isn't very kind with small detail so I figure these may look better "in Hand"

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #146

Platinum Boarder
I would tend to agree with Malcolm. Digital cameras do show things the eye does not see. On display you will probably not notice the little details as you look the model over. Most would miss the changes unless they do what you do or they have another model beside to compare too.
Job well done if the owner is happy.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #147

Platinum Boarder
<p>Ok, one day to go. The owner just rang and he willl pick it up this Sunday.</p>
<p>This means I have to rush things.......I don't like that but for him I will make an exception, due to certain circumstances.</p>
<p>After the wrong colour, I sandpapered the ramp again, and again put it in primer.</p>
<p>Today three very light coats of paint were put on. As I cannot spray and let parts dry in the cold, I had to bring the part inside and let it dry in a higher temperature.</p>
<p>The paint still looks a bit to light, but considering the part does not 'touch' the darker original parts, this will do.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #148

Platinum Boarder
<p>Whenever you decide to use a spray can in cold weather, with certain paints like the blue I used there will be no shine, and it dries up matte. Only when the temperatures are 'normal', it becomes shiny.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
afbeelding</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #149

Platinum Boarder
Paints do not dry properly and they don't release the solvents etc that are used to spay the paint so they say dull. They also tend to peel after a while due to the solvents remaining in the paint.
I will say you have a rather good match for not having the paint color you want. Very close and I agree, not that noticeable on the rear as a ramp. Too bad you have to rush but sometimes we have no other way. Customer comes first.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 2 months ago #150

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim, in all other cases things like these should not be rushed, but something came across in the owners personal life. I need one more day.