Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #121

Platinum Boarder
<p>And the part before spraying. The wires were glued flat. I left Theo's axle in, and everytime I did something, I made sure I could move the axle to the left and right freely.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #122

Platinum Boarder
<p>No rain for 5 minutes......so the ramp is in primer now.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Rain here all the time, so the final colour will have to wait.</p>
<p>Still, I got the blues..........</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This one is closest. Hope there is still enough paint left inside........</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #123

Platinum Boarder
Very close indeed. Keep your fingers crossed that there is enough to do the job.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #124

Platinum Boarder
<p>I tried, and as I said, the closest one. Not enough paint, and besides, not satisfied with that colour.....</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #125

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have to let that ramp be for now, as I cannot find the right colour.</p>
<p>Let me carry on with the windows. As Theo used a sheet of silver stickers, I searched for the one I have. Theo, my one is different, and is filled with numbers. As I said, impossible to make the inside corners all equal, so I did it a bit different.</p>
<p>First of all, one rear side surround and window, and a front surround was missing. No good to use one and make a new one, because you would see the differences. Better try to do all new ones. Luckily the door windows were intact.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #126

Platinum Boarder
<p>This is not only difficult to explain, but also difficult to take pictures of.</p>
<p>The windows and surrounds are placed on the outside of the model, as I mentioned before. All windows are therefore seperate units, and also very thin. The surround is one piece, metal. It is glued onto the glazing, and the glazing is glued into the model.</p>
<p>Paper glue could be used, because it is not aggressive, but as the factory also used a 'cheap' glue, the windows are bound to get loose over time.</p>
<p>I figured to use bison kit glue, but that is agrressive. However, if I use it to place the surrounds on the windows first, before placing then in the model, the risk would be small.</p>
<p>So, new thicker windows were made, as I showed, for the front. Further I made both rear/ side windows.</p>
<p>I then cut thin lines of the the sticker sheet. I carefully glues four small lines on each glazing, and then glued them into the model.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #127

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here one of the sides. A try out to see if it fits.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I used very small clamps (in which you place Christmas cards on a string). To prevent them from scrachting I placed small pieces of paper between clamp and glazing. Two of these windown were wrong, two were to my satisfaction.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #128

Platinum Boarder
<p>Finally the two windows were glued in. Picturing them straight from the sides give a white flash on them, so here a little from the rear or towards the front. The surrounds are a bit thicker than the originals, but when you look closely at the door window, especially the right one, you can see the gaps on top and on the bottom are not closed completely.  This is how the factory did it. It is not as bad as it seems though, you do not see this.</p>
<p>This is really the best I could do so far. I hope you can give your honest opinion......</p>
<p>
gif upload</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #129

This project is coming together nicely. I am glad my "spare parts" worked for you Kees.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #130

Platinum Boarder
I would think it is really difficult to get the surround as thin as a wire and what you have done looks to be hard enough to do. It looks the part now with the chrome trim on.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #131

Platinum Boarder
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks Jim, at least one member gives his opinion about those window frames. It is one of the most difficult things I ever came across.</p>
<p>Just talked to the owner on the phone. Thing is, when I have one surround, like with the front windows, I could try to make another one, but then you will see the difference between the factory surround and mine. So, I have to make two new ones to at least have them the same.</p>
<p>We also have been talking about placing window wipers and side mirrors. One of the wipers is missing, so, again, I need TWO new ones. I will try to glue them onto the window before I place them in the model.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #132

Platinum Boarder
There are originally no side mirrors on the model. So where and how to place them ?

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #133

Platinum Boarder
<p>Found a picture on the net. As you can see, small rounded mirrors on the roof, and also the wipers are on the upper ridge of the roof.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #134

Platinum Boarder
I apologise for not commenting but should we all comment on all posts ?

When you put a thread on and get no comments it is confusing as I found out recently.

I am not sure what you want me to say. Should I say there is a chrome step missing on one side of the truck ?

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #135

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hey DD, no need to apologize of course. I know you are a true member, I just want to wake up the sleeping ones.</p>
<p>Also, I just liked members opinions about the  windows, thats all. Thing is, I am in doubt of they are good enough or not.</p>
<p>I sure would not like to get comment on all my postings, and certainly not in this enormous thread. Still, I hope you understand that when I place a posting, and seeing there are a lot of watchers, no one says anything, this is also frustrating. As I said before, a forum stands of falls, not with the number of members, but with the members being active or not.</p>