Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971

ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>As I might have mentioned, the 'Ecurie guy' bought a lot of trucks for a lot of money. He sent me the wheels only of one truck. I had never seen the construction of those wheels before: a wheel of resin, a flat metal ring around it. And then a rubber tyre, flat on the inside as well, no rim or such to keep it in place.</p>
<p>In Houten the guy took me to another guy, who had bought one of his models,</p>
<p>I then made a talk with him, and he said he is an Alfa fanatic. Therefore he bought this Alfa truck, but unfortunately it was broken here and there. He wants me to restore it. I ALWAYS  agree, when the price is fair, simply because no one else does it!</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here some pictures of the truck.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>When I got home I examined it first. There are no markings of the maker on the base.</p>
<p>As you can see it looks quite reasonable, but a lot of details are very messy.</p>
<p>It is quite light, and today I got a call from the owner that the truck is made by ABC Brianza. I managed to look it up, and on the site, also on Ebay there are a lot of models. An average car model is between 100 and 250 euros! This one came in two colour versions and is 700 to 800 euros!</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>The car is more or less made of resin, and I have some experience with such models. At first glance they seem metal, and an average car model is as heavy as a diecast one.</p>
<p>Although resin is lighter than diecast, those models have extra rims, glazing surrounds, door handles and other small parts, which add to the weight. They seldom come in a box, and if they do, they are on a plint in a plastic transparant one.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>The models were either sold complete, or as a kit. I found some factory completed models on the net, but no kits. I do not think kits were sold very often, as you have to be very expierenced to build it! In most cases building one would turn into a disaster anyway no doubt.</p>
<p>There is such a lot to tell about it, I am light to forget things. You might expect everything to be perfect on such a valuable model, but look at the exhaust of the truck, or the way the rear axles of the trailer were attached to the base.</p>
<p>I have the intention to work on it now and then, but as it is cold here, it will take a longer period to finish it no doubt.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>Examining the wheels they are the same type as the 'easiest resto' thread, so the other model is from the same makers.</p>
<p>There are a lot of loose parts, here a picture.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Note the spare wheel has no resin centre part. No idea where it goes, no markings anywhere on the truck or trailer.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Found out there are several windows and surrounds missing, and also a window wiper and the rear door-ramp.

The joints of the trailer are not glued, but actually have small silver pins that hold the parts together, There is one missing in the rear, and there I can see the whole structure is 'under pressure', meaning when a pin is missing, the two parts do not stay together.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Found out now the company limited the models to about 500, so therefore they are that expensive. Also you can order a non-existing model, probably made in 3D printing. This will no doubt be very expensive...... No spare parts are available for this model I have here.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>One of the characteristics of these models is that there are no vacuum formed windows, nor are they placed on the inside. All windows are separate parts, from very thin plastic, placed on the OUTSIDE, with a metal surround. Because there is at least a window and a few surrounds missing, I see a problem coming up.........</p>
<p>Jim will no doubt give some comment.......</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The spare tyre appears to fit in the "basket" behind the cabin.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #12

that is another project to show your skills. Have not worked on a resin car before

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks. As I said, it seems rather good, but the model needs a lot of attention. I will try to do this and show you over the days, weeks probably.</p>

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Here is where the spare tyre sits.

Re: ABC Brianza Alfa 1971 2 years, 3 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks, indeed it can be placed there, although the cables lead through there as well, but as I started on the model, this is the least of the problems......