Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
The 417 Leyland Comet I have is the same as the bottom one that Jan has posted with blue hubs with same treads on tyres.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
By the way, I happen to have written a concise article about this model on the DTCA website forum:
dtcawebsite.com/forum-topic/531-931-and-...-comet-lorry-1949-59
This may be of help. Kind regards, Jan

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jan. Originally I was just restoring this truck they way I received it. It was badly over painted in Orange but the dark blue showed inside the cab and you can see the red hubs so that is what I did. The box on the rear was over painted as well but when I took it off the truck it was an orange color underneath. As it was in pieces I thought it was also over painted at one time. I guess I was wrong on this.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #49

Platinum Boarder
Final picture with the grille done correctly and a few minor touch ups around the bumper line.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
You forgot to paint the word Leyland. Nah I doubt if you could get a brush that fine to paint it anyway. Looks good Jim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, 143Madness

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #51

Platinum Boarder
janwerner wrote:
Very well done Jim, the colours are matching the original extremely closely. Just one minor remark: as your restoration (model with grooved hubs and narrow silver strip on front bumper) represents a 1952-1954 version of this Comet, it should not have grey block tread tyres (introduced as late as 1957) fitted, they should have a round tread. Fortunately that's an easy change to execute! Kind regards, Jan

Here is the truck with the correct tires. Had to wait until my order came in. Period correct now.

Thanks Jan

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #52

Platinum Boarder
Fantastic Jan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Factory, those tyres look so good
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks to both of you, James and Andy. I prefer the correct tires on my resto's and did not know about the round as opposed to the block treads on this truck. Therefore the thanks to Jan for that tip.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 2 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
<p>Double post can be Removed.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.