Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #31

Superb Jim, like new!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, I 'normally' seldom go into Dinky postings, but I like to say you did a great job. All colours match fine with each other, even the gray tyres are well chosen, and the grille/front lights are just not too much so to speak.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. I try to do my restoration as original as I can. I have books and photos from on line I can look over and I have Jacques Encyclopedia, all updated as of October 2018. Well worth the cost if your into Dinky Toys, there is so much info on it.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco,         Excellent.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong><em> " IT LOOKS FACTORY TO ME"</em></strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>dinkyboy</p>

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Factory , sums this restoration up, well done

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
<p>I am very happy with it but for the color on the slat box. I don't have enough of SF's paint to do the job and can't seem to find a match here locally. Have to go to the Okanagan again but that is not until the end of February and I did not want to wait that long. This works as it is also one of the colors used on this box, just the model itself was Red.
This picture is for comparison purposes only, not my work.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Another excellent restoration. I see you still have those steady fingers Jim.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim but the red on is not mine. It is from Jacques Encyclopedia and just to show the color of the box on my blue truck is the same or very similar to the red truck version. The red truck above is an original. You can see the paint chips on the hood and fender and also the wear on the hub from the axle and hub rubbing during play.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
I had said in another thread that the front of this truck was going to get a silver touch up to put it right. Well, here it is. I finished off the chrome on the grille.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #40

Senior Boarder
<p>Deleted</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by rivera.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #41

Senior Boarder
Sorry, just noticed I put the last post in the wrong thread!

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #42

Platinum Boarder
Very well done Jim, the colours are matching the original extremely closely. Just one minor remark: as your restoration (model with grooved hubs and narrow silver strip on front bumper) represents a 1952-1954 version of this Comet, it should not have grey block tread tyres (introduced as late as 1957) fitted, they should have a round tread. Fortunately that's an easy change to execute! Kind regards, Jan

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
Hello Jan good to see your eyes are sharp as every. Jim you have to do a tyre change.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
Yes James, it would look that way. Thanks Jan for pointing that out. I had looked at Jacques Encyclopedia for the correct painting and wheels. I can change them out real easy as I have lots of both types of tires. The only thing that I find different is the color of the stake bed in the back. The book shows it being Yellow but I have found from previous restorations it is closer to an Orange Yellow color so that is what I used. Looks good on screen.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 4 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
Jim, my original below. The yellow may seem some brighter than yours, unless ... you meant to reproduce an earlier one, which has a slightly darker yellow back, verging to light brown. That one has blue hubs and a slighter less dark blue cab (bottom).