Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #16

Because it is under the box, I would personally not mind and leave the initial yellow as it is. The darker yellow from the last photo is a good color match

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
If it was me I would probably wait and take that trip into Okanagan and go looking for a lighter yellow spray can or close to.

Can't really tell any blemishes' from here fortunately.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
looks perfect to me , the colours go well.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I have circled a couple areas that show the grey primer through the paint.

You can see in the corner where I did not get enough paint on.
Also hard to see in the photo is the general look as if the paint was changed color due to the primer showing though all over.
The Circled areas just show up better here,
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #20

OK now I see it. I thought they were shadows

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
I learn't this when spraying yellow , I now use white primer , it is the same as when spraying red, if you use grey primer instead of red primer ,all the edge parts & raised part never coat right you can still see the grey showing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I know the problem you talk of Andy but I have only had that with light colors. Most of the colors I have are from SF and they have good pigment in them. This yellow in particular seems to be of a clearer or less pigment type of color. I have not seen this before. I have other yellows that go over Grey just fine. Most of my primers are sandable and that gives extra tooth to the primer for the paint to hang onto if you know what I mean. I have red primer and have used it under red paint and found that it changed the color of the red I sprayed. I had to give it more coats to get to the right color. I did not have to do that with light grey or white primer. Usually 2 coats does it. Red primer under red is like this yellow, 4 or 5 coats are needed to get a good coverage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I have a 2cv on the workbench that has gone a bit orange or tangerine due to applying red primer, I shall have to coat this up some more and just goes to show primer isn't always the best answer, in particular red primer.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Red primer or Red Oxcide primer is great for dark colors, very sandable and is a good filler too. I have some but seldom use it on my models as the Yellow I have is about the only one that needs extra coats of paint to get right. Even with white primer it turns it paler unless I do more coats. 4 or 5 seem best for me.
This is my opinion based on my experience with Steve Flowers paints. I get different results, don't like most, from other types of paint, lacquer, acrylic Acryl, Water based or not. Others will probably find their results differ from mine due to paints and thinners and primers used.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
I have some of the details on the front done. Base and wheels and axles are in as well.
free image host

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I still have the center of the front bumper to paint silver but did not want to do that today. Have to have a real steady hand for that and mine was not steady enough for my liking. Tomorrow will be better or Sunday? Maybe all I need is a beer?

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
I know the yellow is a bit mellow but,

She's a little cracker!!

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I think I am going to paint the rear with my Yellow/Orange like I showed you I did on another truck back in 2013. Then that was the closet match to the existing color on the truck. When you open this up you can see the over spray as the true color. See post #15 at the bottom of page 1

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have some detailing done on the front of the cab now.
I also have the box painted now in the Light Orange/Yellow paint Right front corner 3/4 view
Left rear corner 3/4 view
And the underside. Looks lighter due to the flash.
I will now let it cure for a couple days and then assemble it.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Okay, the truck if assembled with ease as it is only the bolt kit and the two forward facing tabs that hold the box onto the chassis if this truck.
Here is the finished product.
forensic archaeology salary

And of course the base.

Hope you all enjoyed following along.