Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration

Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>This is another model that came to me free or for postage only. In rough shape when received a number of years ago and I have finally decided it needed a pick me up.</p>
<p>
free image hosting website</p>

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
You can see the correct Dark blue inside the cab and on the underside of the chassis. The whole body was originally dark blue. I am not sure about the farm slat box on the back Seems it was red but there is no mention of red anywhere I can find. But...if I turn it over, I get a tan color that is original.

and the inside

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The rest of the pictures of its present condition.
gif hosting

See how the base plate is held on in this picture
post image
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I took it apart today. The base is now soaking in vinegar as it is very rusty as you can see.
image hoster
photo uploader
This orange did not want to come off well. Some picking away with a pointed tool and the bead blaster took care of the pesky orange.

image hosting software
It is now going to be washed off and dried in the toaster oven then given a coat of primer.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
It looks great stripped of it's paint, looking forwards to seeing the rest of restoration
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
How was the truck held together?

With those small tab like pieces, I can't see ant rivet or are they hiding must be something keeping it all together!

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
If you look closely at the first picture you can see a bit of black rusted metal under the front bumper. You can see it again a few pictures further down. Look at the first picture (much further down the thread) at the first picture of it disassembled. See the base plate? Up can see the two tabs I pointed out earlier. They are resting on the table top and at the bottom left side of the base. Now look at the other end, by the axles. You can just make out the up turn of the base at the front. This goes through a hole or slot just under the front bumper. The tabs then go through the chassis just behind the cab and get bent over. The box rear has two tabs on it at the front that go into two holes at the base of the cab, just above where the base tabs get bent. There is a hole in the back of the box and the back of the chassis where a stud went through. The other end gets the spare tire washer. I have also noticed that this truck lost it tow hitch or hook somewhere along the say. You can tell by the rivet head that is still burred over from the factory. They would not do that as there would be no rivet stud if there was no hook. If you want clearer pictures I can do that too.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Up Date on the trucks progress. Now the primer is on.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I had to straighten up the box slats. I used the edge of the metal table for my bench drill press and my small hammer and tapped, tapped, tapped until it looked pretty good.

Sides look pretty straight now.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Now for some Blue on the cab/chassis
best free image hosting

Yellow is one of the hardest colors to cover anything. I am not happy, this is first coat. I am running out of this so I think I will save what I have left for my Dinky 100 Series Race Car Drivers.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I will be going to town in the next couple days so hopefully I can find a matching yellow in a spray can.
Here are some of the bits I paint by hand. the bolt kit for the spare tire has a bolt, lock washer, concave washer to resemble a hub to hold the spare time and a small nut. I paint the nut, spare tire washer and the trailer hook all black by hand. The bolt will get the top painted to match the color of the box, in this case yellow and I don't paint the lock washer until it is installed. Paint cracks and falls off.
I already painted the other side.

Here is the base plate. I think you can see the tabs better. First if the rear view.

Bottom or exposed side is up.

This next pic shows the inside up.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Looking Good
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #13

From this side, the yellow looks good. I hope you can find a matching color.

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I agree with RoutemasterNL... the yellow does not look too bad considering!

Re: Dinky 417 Leyland Comet Restoration 2 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I don't have much left, as I said so went looking today. No luck. I do have yellow/cream, light orange/yellow, deep orange/yellow and a chome yellow from a rattle can. Anything else I have is not for modelling. What I found it town is of course limited being where we are. Planing a trip to the Okanagan later this month so will look there where there is much larger selections.

This slat box got a bunch of splatter on it. I strain/filter or sieve out any of the lumps etc but still some get in the paint line and blot up my paint job. If you look on the underside (shown) you can see the paint is not into the corners well and on the slats you can see light areas with grey primer showing through the yellow. This was first coat and it usually takes at least three coats to cover properly. Don't think I have that left in the bottle so have to find a alternative. The one below was done in July of 2013 for a customer. I used light orange/yellow then. What do you think?