Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Latest

Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Thought you would love my latest abomination.

White metal copy of Dinky France 'M' cab plus white metal copy of Dinky Studebaker tanker tank. JB Welded into a 'nutmeg' lookalike, struggled trying to join 2 non matching baseplates so a Kevlar botty is what it has.

Have fun

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Wow.

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
This will be good. Looking forward to more pics of the process.

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Hi Jim,
I'll do some pics & a write up on the morrow, but don't get your hopes up .
Just got in (23.00) from a meal out with friends, and getting myself round a scotch.
Have fun
Terry

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Morning

As promised a quick description of making the 'M' tanker, a little background first.

I buy white metal Dinky France 'M' models as chassis cabs from P.P. copy models in Brighton (U.K.) usually 5 at a time. They make them for Dinky Club France. Pictured is my last one, they usually come with wheels, axles & tyres.

A couple of years back I had 25 (minimum order) Dinky tankers cast in white metal.

They also come with axles, wheels & tyres, I have about 12 left.

On the left the Dinky tanker used to make the moulds, centre & right Dinky tankers cast in resin (min order 5), not too good lots of 'flash' and 'small chunks' missing because of trapped air.

I also have a long standing friend who builds/maintains/races, racing cars, so he saves me offcuts of Kevlar /carbon fibre panels (usually used to line inside of doors). He used to custom make them but now buys flat sheets in.  

These are my last few bits. With moving house over the last 18 months or so, I haven't re-stocked .

Method, I used a small hacksaw to cut the tank off of an 'R' cab tanker & the chassis extension off the back of the 'M' cab, then using JB Weld 'glued' them together, there wasn't anywhere the 2 pieces met where I could use screws, unlike the 'motorhomes & horse boxes'.

This was left for a week or 2, just to make sure the JB Weld had hardened in the highish temperatures here. I tidied up the outside of the join twixt cab & tank. I couldn't figure a way to join the two white metal baseplates and make a respectable job of it. So using one side/leaf an old CD case I put it over the upside down model scribed an outline and fixing holes to make a one piece base. I cut it out did a trial fit, then marked it out onto the Kevlar, cut it out and that was it. Wheels and rear axle from stock , front axle is a small piece of brass tube with cut down nails pushed through the wheels and glued into the tube.

That was it. told you it wasn't exciting .

Have fun

Terry
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Terrytoo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, lark6

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #6

Expert Boarder
Not exciting? For an ex-Studebaker guy like me, I was all ears - er, eyes!

How can I get one of either of those in white metal? I have no preference but that M chassis/cab has given me a great idea for a scratchbuilt stake body.  I made one for an HO scale R chassis/cab a long time ago; it's stored away and I need to dig it up and take pics.

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hi Lark 6, P.M. sent, have fun, Terry

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #8

Expert Boarder
Thanks Terry. I got an email notification that you PMed me, but the PM isn't showing up in my inbox. I'll report the issue to a moderator.

Re: Latest 2 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi
There is a little in the P.M. that is best not public, the rest basically says I have 1 of the 'M' chassis cabs left. But we are driving to the U.K. mid November and I will try to collect more. I have the white metal 'R' tankers here and if you want I can send one to you. Mail I guess would be about $20, I sent a Paya Lark + Brooklin Champion to the U.S. 3 weeks ago and it was $23.
Have fun
Terry

Re: Latest 2 weeks, 1 day ago #10

Expert Boarder
Hi Terry,

I bought one of those Dinky France Studebaker M kits from modelcars.nl at the end of 2018. I just started working on it as my health has improved and I'll start my own thread in topic. Thanks again for bringing them to my attention.
  • Page: