Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded

Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
Back in my Tekno 300SL thread I mentioned that I was going to be restoring an LP322 Kosangas truck. I knew this was going to be controversial as the truck could probably have been reconditioned in its original livery with some properly matched touch-up paint and some reproduction decals. However I did not want to incur the expense of sourcing reproduction accessories for the truck as well as the bottle rack as a spare part.

I decided to push on regardless from this starting place.

I also decided on a color scheme common to many postwar Mercedes-Benz trucks.

Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by lark6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #2

Expert Boarder
Here are the painted subassemblies.

Here is the bare frame with springs, wheels/tires/axles and exhaust reinstalled.

Here with the bed test fit to the frame.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Saw this Thread and thought you might like to see mine...what a coincidence

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, lark6

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
I need to find one of those! That sage green over black with red wheels was very common. There were a good number of M-B trucks in the US in the 1960s and early 1970s but they eventually disappeared. I know they couldn't all have worn out as quite a few are still giving service around the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #5

Expert Boarder
Here's the cab with the details picked out.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #6

Expert Boarder
The finished product, test fit.

I need to polish off the wee bit of matte black overspray below the grille. I chose not to repaint the interior should a future owner ever want to restore it back to its original glory.

I noticed the rear is riding a bit high and discovered that the rear weld of the exhaust system/rear spring keeper has broken loose. I'll need to disassemble the truck, repair the weld and reassemble. That doesn't detract much form the physical appearance of the truck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 3 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>I like this redo a lot - better than the original colors!</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by karls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lark6

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 1 year, 6 months ago #8

Expert Boarder
<p>Bumping an old thread for my next Tekno project - one that will be far more challenging than those before. It might warrant a separate thread.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 1 year, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
That's my favorite Tekno ever! I've had mine since I was 12 years old!!! Needs a spike on the roof! Will you convert it to something different? Are the 2 'roll up' sides usable?

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 1 year, 6 months ago #10

Expert Boarder
<p>karls wrote:
That's my favorite Tekno ever! I've had mine since I was 12 years old!!! Needs a spike on the roof! Will you convert it to something different? Are the 2 'roll up' sides usable?
</p>
<p>I don't have the spike, and one of the roller blinds is missing while the other is missing about half. I haven't seen replacements for either (though I haven't done an exhaustive search) so I am leaning toward some kind of conversion that will allow me to continue to use the beer truck body. Kind of a shame as, in my younger days, I once drove a beer truck as a deliveryman for a summer. Granted, it wasn't a Mercedes-Benz and I wasn't delivering Tuborg, but still... </p>

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 1 year, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Good luck with the re-do! I look forward to your results.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 1 year, 6 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
<p>Teknosamleren has the spike and the decals but does not appear to have the roller blinds. If I can't find them elsewhere then a Code 3 may be in order.</p>

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 1 year, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
You might try thin plastic strips glued onto a thin piece of cloth to make the roller blinds. I have seen it done before. Just have to have the right thichness to make it work.

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 2 weeks, 3 days ago #14

Expert Boarder
<p>Quick note to say that this project is finally moving forward and a separate thread will be started.</p>

Re: Tekno Mercedes-Benz LP322: From Kosangas to Unbranded 2 weeks, 3 days ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Can't wait to see what you've come up with! Thanks!
  • Page: