Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ”
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ”

Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Last year when I was inspired by Dinkyboy to make my own Foden 6-wheeler I also finished a Leyland Octopus in Heinz livery.

This Octopus was originally a BP-Shell tanker but the tank was missing.

Briefly worded it went like this.

I shortened and loweredthe box of a Lion Car DAF-Eurotrailer, our Dutch members will know the brand.

A new base plate for the box was made from alu sheet and two pieces of alu profile were shaped

into the right dimensions to make the connection between the base plate of the box and the chassis of the Octopus.

Also a kind of tail board with rear lamps and license plate for the box was made from this alu profile and the doors of the Eurotrailer were glued back in position.

In the end, after the paint job, the box was attached with two M-2,5 screws to the chassis of the Leyland.

From the following pictures you can get an impression how it was done.

When I was a boy, many many years ago, I used to play with a kind of Meccano contruction box and the making of this Heinz truck looks a bit like it, I used a lot of M-2 screws.

Best Regards – Wolter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, lark6

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Saucy little number!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krul

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Well done, Wolter. Beautiful work. This one is considerably rarer than the previous scarce Bedford 'Heinz' van with ketchup bottle! Kind regards Jan
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #4

What a transformation and an inspiration to make a likewise on (different livery ofcourse). I have one or two spare Foden chassis lying around.
Please advise me on the trailer bed per email Wolter.

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Very nice work and a novel new model has been born. Looks like it could have adorned the Dinky line up quite well. I really like and that is a whole lot of Ketchup.

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
one of the nicest code 3 restoration I've seen

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That's excellent work! Really suits it and looks like a missed opportunity from Dinky there!

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 3 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Looks Factory, fantastic job.

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #9

Gold Boarder
The making of a Leyland Heinz 6-wieler to go with the Heinz Octopus

As I had alreaedy made an Leyland Octopus in “Heinz” livery in the past I got the idea to make a Leyland six-wheeler in the same livery as well.
The making of six-wheeler Fodens or Leylands has already been described earlier in this forum.
So I started with an Atlas Octopus which I sawed in two pieces, carefully removed filed away the fenders of the cab and straightened out the front of the chassis.

After that the cab can be attached with a small piece of alu profile by means of four M2 screws to the chassis.

The baseplate under the cab was made of an old Foden baseplate which had lost its license plate part at the front.

To be continued.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
a neat repair

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #11

Gold Boarder
The box was made again of an old Lion Car Eurotrailer which was lowered and shortened.
For connecting the bottom properly with four screws to the box I attached a small piece of 1,5 mm alu profile with an M2 screw to the r.h. side wall of the box because originally there was no Lion Car pillar at the l.h. side.
The bottom of the box was made of 1,5 mm alu sheet and provided with an undercarriage of two pieces 1,5 mm alu profile which were sawed and filed in the right lenght and height.
The rear wall of the box was also made of 1,5 mm alu sheet and the doors were made of 0,8 mm steel sheet. The slot between the two doors was sratched/filed in and after that provided with two handles made of paperclip.
To connect the box to the Leyland-chassis the bottem was provided with two rivets in which I cut a M2,5 thread so it could be attached with two M 2,5 screws.
The rear lights were shaped from a nail of a rivet, the license plate was cut out of a piece of tin.

To be continued.

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #12

Gold Boarder
I did not make pictures of the spraying stages.

But anyway after placing the waterslide-transfers I could add another nice “Heinz” truck to my collection.

Best Regards – Wolter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, janwerner, lark6

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
wow! wow! wow!

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Lovely job indeed. Thanks for the walk thru on the build of the box. Good to see. 2 questions. The tapered holes in the box are for the handles on the doors? Do the paperclip Door Handles go through the hols in the box and then get crimped? If only through the doors the countersink is for the paperclips to go as you folded them over on your piece of thin door metal?
And - the Door Hinges them selves are made out of? paperclips glued on?

Re: Dinky Toys Leyland Octopus “HEINZ” 1 month ago #15

they are true works of art! Hat off !!!!!!
  • Page: