Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2

Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 12 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder

Here\'s a project that\'s slowly progressing. The restoration of the Dinky Toys #106 met.blue Thunderbird 2.

Its an interesting model, easy to restore except for the parts of which this one was lacking a few. All the minus-screws are new. The model had no landing carriage. It suffered major paint flake. The wings were bent and the left one almost severed. And the chassis had a dent.

First I had to do my homework. I learned there were two T2\'s. #101 and #106. No one could help me which one I had as the former is smaller than the latter. The first parts I looked for were the landing legs. Turned out that the #101 legs were small and skinny. The ones I needed were supposed to be fatter and wider. This took almost 3 months to get right.

Finding the correct boosters was also a struggle. Again, I have a pair for the smaller #101. Alas there was only one booster left for the #106. I need another one along with a couple of release catches for the landing legs.

Thunderbird 4 was easy to find. Plenty of repro\'s around.

Finally an automotive met.blue was almost the correct shade to fully repaint this model. I also managed to get some repro stickers which will be applied once all the parts are complete.

So far its been 6 months since I won this wrecked model and restored it into its current state. Just need one more booster and a pair of release catches.

After that... Thunderbirds Are Go!!!

Kind Regards, Richard K

Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 12 years, 11 months ago #2

Thanks for posting that! I have been a fan of Gerry Anderson and his supermaionation for, well, along time. T2 was and still is my favorite of the 5 (6 if you count the bi-plane). I\'ve been half heartedly looking for a Thundebirds set. Maybe it\'s time to get a little more serious about finding them. Welcome aboard, and keep up the excellent work!

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 12 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
thanks very much.

I\'m not as good as a lot of collectors here. But they say patience is a virtue and I tend to rush things thru then move on.

There are projects waiting to be reborn but parts are lacking. Also there\'s a minor credit card to pay off. The problem accumulates when the
NZ dollar is so low.

Richard K

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 11 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Welcome all over again Richard and wondering if anything was ever done with this great model. Might tie in with the Joe 90 project fix that is going on now if you have had any progress. parts may interchange....

Hey Rob, did you ever get that set you wanted. I had one a few years ago but sold it. Mint models in water damaged and warped box. No rust or corrosion on the models either. Also had the Captain Scarlet set in box.
Those were great shows and always enjoyed them Still have a video here some were of the Thunderbirds. Oh, here it is, Thunderbirds Are Go! First one too.
Jim

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 11 years, 9 months ago #5

Well, sort of. I have all but TB3, as you know, the large FAB 1 (Thank you again Jim!) a small FAB 1 loose and one on card, a TB1 on card, a TB2 with TB4 loose, and some Captain Scarlet loose and carded items. All are Matchbox versions, from the 90\'s release and in very nice shape. I\'m still looking for more of the Thunderbirds ships, and other Gerry Anderson items. He really was ahead of the times on his marionette and miniature filming work. Derek Meddings was brilliant with his miniature scenes and the use of household items in his set designs was always creative. Look at the sets for the Tracy Island compound or ship interiors and you\'ll find some radio dials, oven knobs, shaving cream cans, just about anything that looked like it would work was used.

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 11 years, 9 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
I think some of you may find this link helpfull.It gives you all variations of Gerry Anderson and others.
I hope the link works.

www.thunderbirds.free.fr/english/Intro.html

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 11 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That is an interesting link. Loads of info, Thanks Kev.

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 11 years, 8 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
I thought it might come in useful as it gives almost all different variations on mosdt Gerry Anderson and some Corgi.It is hard to believe how many variations of models actually exist.

Re:Restore Project Dinky Toys 106 Thunderbird 2 11 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
cool thanks,

any chance for helping me locate the missing parts I need?
  • Page: