Dinky 983 Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 983 Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this!

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 2 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
Looks like you got it there Roland. I just figured out how to upload to my gallery and then into the posts. It is much easier than using Photobucket. Use the \'HTML images for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc.\'          for this paste or I could use the Clickable thumbs selection right above that.

Important

Once you have the picture in and the message posted it does not show up as a picture. To make it do that, click edit your post and then wait for the minor upload of the thread box and then just post again. It will show up fine the second time. This is a little glitch that the techy boys and girls are working on at home base.

Try out the new gallery uploader, only one at a time but is rather quick, if you ask me and then you can upload from there to your posts and gets the photos in you gallery for everyone to view. The more pictures the better.
Jim

Last Edit: 11 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 2 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
or just press the html icon - then update...

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 2 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Damn, Still can\'t get it right. It is all in the wrong place.

RVREVO wrote:

or just press the html icon - then update...

Have not done that one yet so don\'t know how it works. Like to stick with stuff I know. LOL
Last Edit: 11 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 1 month ago #34

Platinum Boarder
with html you have to use the codes to space them apart. Its a bit ancient, but it does work for some reason.

The trick is not to use too many pictures. Apparently some get lost in translation.

Before updating the file make sure you copy&paste the whole lot into Notepad.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 1 month ago #35

Platinum Boarder
[b]

Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 1 month ago #36

Great restore Jim! As the proud owner of two of your restores, I can appreciate the amount of work you put into this. Great job!

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 1 month ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Rob and yes, it was a task. Some parts took some thinking to reattach, to my satisfaction, properly but I got it done. It is a nice model and would love to do another one.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years ago #38

Platinum Boarder
Hi Noblco. By closer examination. I (Gunnerjim) have noticed in these pictures and your commentary, that the casted nuggets for riveting location were retained, so that they can be used to re-locate and lock the car carrier body to the lower bed frame of the trailer. Did you fill in the holes with solder or used filler type rivets instead on the trailer when finished. On the truck bottom chassis, holes are visible to relocate rivets, thus holding the side frames in place. By the way the cleaning up or fretwork on the replacement drop ramp came up superb. At first I wasn\'t sure if you had replaced the metal by your soldering techniques.

I have metal finished and painted the Dinky Bedford car transporter and allowing the paint to harden. Then assembling process will take place and home made duplicate decals to be added.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years ago #39

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the comments, Gunnerjim. This is a great model to work on even if there are some difficult steps. The old rivets on the truck were broken off on one side but a stub remained. I ground them down till flat and smooth and tried to leave some of it on the chassis. Most went well but one broken one was real thin. I then center punched the stubs and drilled them through the chassis. Just big enough to take one of Sf\'s large rivets. just under 1/8\". I used my drill press (you could use a dremel too) and with a file turned down the rivet head in height and diameter to resemble the original rivets. I then cut them to length so they would not protrude out the other side once installed. Installation was easy, with the locators intact and with super glue being used to fasten the rivet in place. I did one side at a time so the model would lay flat and I could be sure of alignment.  It turned out quite well.
I have since found that I can buy replacement rivets for this Carrier.
One of the toughest parts in the reassemble of the model was the rear top roller pin on the Carrier itself. It is supposed to roll and the ends are turned down where they go through the sides of the upper body. Very thin and like to bend easily. I had to be very careful while peening the end over. I wrapped everything up in cloth or toweling while I was assembling too as it is too easy to scratch the paint.
The loading ramp arrived as a sloppy casting with slag all around the hinge knobs. It was just a matter of filing and grinding to get it to look like the original part. Also the replacement part was a little heavier than the original. Not sure why but it may have been a tad thicker, or maybe the metal was denser than the original mix. A little filling in and it was good as new when painted up. I also learned that the sides of the Car Carrier are made of aluminum, I did not know that until I stripped the paint off.
Have fun with your build and I for one would love to see pictures.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years ago #40

Platinum Boarder
well, the model is still realy heavy. good thing the sides were lighter.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years ago #41

Platinum Boarder
I know for sure that the sides of the Carrier truck are Aluminum. I think the trailer is Aluminum too, if I am not mistaken. It is one of the very few Dinky Toys where Aluminum was used to lighten the load, so to speak. Still, a very heavy model.

Last Edit: 11 years ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years ago #42

Wow Jim, looks like this is the thread that wil never end. I wondered about the rivets you were using. Thanks for the extra info.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years ago #43

Platinum Boarder
Your welcome, Rob, glad it came in useful. I have found replacement rivet now so don\'t have to make my own any more. Not that it is hard or anything, but what the heck, they look more like the originals.