Dinky 983 Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 983 Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this!

Dinky 983 Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Here we go with a Dinky Toys 983 Car Transporter and Trailer set which consists of the 984 Car Transporter and the 985 Transporter Trailer attachment.I believe that they were offered as a set and individually. There is a later issue in different colors, the 989 Car Transporter that was not issued with the trailer attachment, either together or separately. So if you wanted a trailer you had to take the Red and Grey one.Well I have been commissioned by a gentleman in Alberta, Canada to turn a 983 set in to what I would call a 1000 set. The Transporter is #989 and there are a few numbers available up there in the Dinky Range of toy numbers but I thought I would call the set #1000. I thought the Trailer should be called #996. Neither number have been used by Dinky Toys that I am aware of.So we will start off with some pictures of the model as received. It was not bad for paint on the tractor but had lost most of its lower rivets and the was a rust on the pins holding the top. Besides we are going for a £3000.00 model here.It all came apart fairly easy after looking it over for a while. Some pins do not leave me much to work with and I may have to make a few myself. Anyway here are the first few pictures of the way I received it and how it came apart and stripped out. Enjoy and stay tuned as I will post the whole build, maybe even make feature of the month. LOL Here we go.! The Tractor:
The Trailer:
Stay Tuned for more, coming soon to a Forum or Website near you. Diecast Toyguy Restoration Services
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Here is a quick look at what the toy will look like when finished, but with a trailer. These photos came from the ad currently on ebay I mentioned in the last post on this thread.
Enjoy!`

Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Sorry but these are in no particular order. This is the start of the tear down.

Starting to come apart. Trailer done.

Cab done.Trailer and cab, most parts.

Ready for striping.

First stripping and the grey
came off great, Red not so great.
More to come so stay tuned for all the action. Brought to you by Diecast Toyguy!~
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Here is the next stage of stripping the model of paint. Some went very well like the Grey but the red is a bear so steel wool is in order. Most leftover paint is in creveises grooves and pits so helps fill in prior to primering. Just want a flat finish is all. JN
Oops those were in the last group. How easy we forget. Here is the fitting of the rivets that is going to hold the model together when finished. A bit of finiky work as rivets have to be sizes to the holes to fit will. Also don\'t want the hole on the opposite side to show after assembly.
Here is the fileing and shaping of the rivet stubs that I left on the chassis. One set is longer than the other as it is at the rear and I can spread the model a bit to fit it. The other end need to be thinner to slide in without scratching the paint.

What we end up with after grinding smooth

Notice how thin the lower or rear rivet is compared to the front or upper rivet.

Holes aligned in both the cab and trailer.So basically,I am using large rivets that will go thru sized holes in the inner body (chassis in this case) to make a good fit so there is no slop. After gluing it will be secure.Here is the continuation of the process to make the body fit the chassis.

Model on its side showing future rivet locations.

Rear of Trailer Rivet mounts.

Enjoy, Diecast Toyguy~
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Next we tackle the tail gate/ramp for the cab. It was missing and the owner bought one off of me about 8 or 9 months ago to use on this truck. He is disabled and when confronted with this task looked to me for over 9 month as we worked out a deal. There is a lot of work to this model as you have already seen in the dismantling of the two vehicles.
So here we go with the filing and grinding and sanding of the tailgate/ramp for the cab. Not the best casting in the world but what I have to deal with. Most of the castings I purchase are better than this.

I have had to file down the pivot ends on the gate to make it fit the body slots it rides in.

The slots for the hook on to the top roller to hole the gate up needed work too.
Out comes the dremel.

You can see what I had to work with. Not very good to start with.

After working for a few minutes we have a shape that will work. On both the pivot and the catch. Compare to the original. The castings are no comparison as the original has no pitting and is almost perfect. The remake is pitted and has lots of casting overflow that had to be filed off or ground down. Pain but if you want it to look right.......Well!~

Don\'t touch that Dial, Leave it on this Station, I\'m going to make another dedication....well post anyway so stay tuned. Jn

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Well, the model is coming along. I have it all striped and primered and have painted the sides of the Truck White. No pictures yet as it is drying as I type this. Here are some more shots of going through the process of getting ready to paint.

Stripping for the third time

Primed and ready for paint.

White is painted on one side only

Base and all the axels and shafts on my oven

Hubs ready for painting

Trailer Cab in the oven drying.

Hope you have enjoyed the process so far and who knows, you may even learn a trick or two. This is a difficult model to restore and I will be divulging some of my secrets. So stay tuned for more to come.
Diecast Toyguy, Canada

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Well I have finally got most of the painting done. Just the top of the trailer to go.

There are 104 pictures in the album now. If you want to take a look at all of them, click on any photo to go to my Photo Bucket. Lots of other models there too. Have fun. Jim N

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Very impressive.

tptb never did make a trailer in this colour scheme, did they? Just the truck.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
No they did not offer a trailer with the 989. When you do see them on eBay (Mr.Blunden) they don\'t go cheap. This one is a commission for a guy in Alberta. We have been tossing it back and forth for about a year now and he has been looking for the trailer. He finally found 2. One to go with his original 984 which is in near mint condition and so is the trailer. The trailer he sent me was a little playworn and the tow bar was bent. Otherwise it is in very good shape and I was a little sorry to have to strip it down. But not my model so..... I now have the bear of a time to put it all back together. I have to mask off the trailer top and paint it but that is it. Just detailing and then assembly. I am trying to make it look as original as possible. Some of my friends use PoP Rivets to hold the sides on but I am going to try something different. We shall see how it comes out.
JN

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 11 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Its awesome.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Here we go with the next stage. The trailer top body. It is made of aluminim with most of you probably did not know. The same with the lower chassis.

The trailer chassis is next. It has been painted yellow and blue and now needs the black for the front axle yoke.

Then comes the final fitting to make sure it all aligns properly. I sure hope so as now is a little late to be bending or shaping parts to fit.
Axles and hubs have been installed and the original tires are on. I straightened the tow yoke and it is also installed.

Now that the easy part is done, Painting and assembly of the trailer, I can get down to business on the tractor. That is a little more complicated with the ramp and its lifting mechanism.
More to come...

Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Well I am all painted now and have done a few little touch-ups here and there. I detailed the grille and front bumper and it is now ready to assemble. I have to make the rivets look good so that is the next step. Into the drill press for a little filiing and smoothing to make them look right. Cut to length and install. Should go easy enough. The mechanism for the lift ramp arrived on Friday and that is going to be the most difficult part of the assemble. Trying not to damage the paint as I put it all together.
Keep watching. Jim

Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 10 months ago #13

Administrator
This looks great and the yelllow is a fantastic shade. Did you mix it yourself?

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 10 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Baskingshark, I get this paint from my supplier in England. It is called Primrose and is one of his stock colors. Also used for the Dinky Studebaker  President and others.
Jim

Re:Dinky Car Carrier Redone. Watch as I rebuild this! 11 years, 10 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
with real cars panelbeaters tend to mask certain parts of the body to protect the paint from scuffs and scratches when assembling.

Would that be helpful in putting the Mecanno bit into your truck?