Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: April and May Models finished

April and May Models finished 10 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>[b]I have finished up a few models I received in April and May of this year. Most of these are for the same customer.   Enjoy</p>
<p>As Received from my customer.<br />Corgi Aston Martin DB4 Competition Model <br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />After I get my hands on it.<br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />As received by the same customer.  Dinky 27f Estate Wagon<br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />After I get my hands on it.<br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />Now this looks better.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Nobleco.

Re:April and May Models finished 10 years, 9 months ago #2

Administrator
Very nice work! As per the other thread, I think the turquoise on the Aston is a shade darker than original, but looks MUCH nicer than the original turquoise! I always thought this was an odd colour scheme for the car.

Re:April and May Models finished 10 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Again more great restorations there Jim.

Re:April and May Models finished 10 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, it is appreciated. Andrew, yes, the turquoise is a little darker. It was that or lighter and I did not like lighter so opted for the Dark Side. LOL I also think it has a sharper look with the slightly darker color.

Re:April and May Models finished 2 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Another one from back in July of 2010, over 8 years ago. At least the pictures will show when people search for the models. If you want to see when I did any of my models since about 2007 you can right click on the image and 'Save As' Save it to your desktop and if you have a good editing program you can look at the properties and see the date, camera type and even the time it was taken, 9:32:29am in fact.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Nobleco.

Re:April and May Models finished 2 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
they look good. well done Jim especially the two tone on that Corgi Aston Is particularly impressive job.

How do you polish those Silver hubs up to shine so well?

Re:April and May Models finished 2 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
For polishing up the alloy hubs, either concave or domed, I put them on a finishing nail or an axle (usually the one they came from) and put them into my drill press.

I push the nail with the hub on it up into the drill chuck on the drill press and then tighten it up with the chuck Key. If not tight enough it will just spin on the axle. You need it tight so it spins with the drill press.

I then use Nevr Dull polish cotton wadding and hold it up against the spinning hub and work it around to get all the surface, specially on the concave hubs. I then use some nice soft material (an old pair of sweat pants, the thick winter kind of pants) and polish it up. I then take it out of the drill press and turn the hub over and do it all again. I guess it takes about 20 minutes or less most times to get what you see on that Aston Martin. Look at any of my restorations with alloy hubs and you will see the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, 143Madness

Re:April and May Models finished 2 years ago #8

Platinum Boarder
You can see the rag I polish with above is well used. That is also the brass wire brush I use for polishing base plates and sometimes cast hubs. I don't use it on castings much.
Top picture is of one of my benches. Those are Testors paints at the top and middle and Humbrol on the bottom shelf. Tin cans with lids hold paint thinners to clean my air brush and my paint brushes among other uses. The bottle of fish food holds my pipe cleaners, white is my favorite for cleaning my air brush parts. Most paints show well on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness
  • Page: