Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand

Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have had to change my photos as Photo Bucket is no longer hosting pictures for posting here. I have my one.</p>
<p>I was commissioned to do a few toys for one of our own members here in Toy Collector. RVREVO by Handle but most of you know him as Richard. This is the very nice casting of a streamlined fire engine by Dinky Toys that first came out in 1936 and has been released a number of times since and this number 25H and as 250. Here is how she was received, from New Zealand.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br /></p>
<p>Most definitely in need of repair. Now I shall take it apart and give it a good cleaning.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />Now that it is Blasted nice an clean we can apply primer to the body and get the base and hubs and axles going. I use my drill press to polish the axles. I use fine emery cloth or wet and dry sand paper at about 400 grit. Give a nice polished look to the axles. The hubs are striped of paint with furniture stripper and then hand painted. The base is straightened out and then painted at least two coats on gloss black Alkyd paint from Home Hardware, Rattle Cans.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />A little paint on the Body and some detailing and it is starting to come together.<br /><br />Next will be the base and the hubs and axles. Note the shiny axles. They look great.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />Now it is time to put it together. Here is the finished product and Richard is very happy with this. In fact so happy he is sending me one more to do.
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />Hope you all enjoyed the build as much as I did building it. Fun toy to do.</p>
<p>I have replaced these pictures as best as I can. Hope it works.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>[b]Here is an add on to this thread. I have redone this Fire Engine a few times and still have one in my collection. I did a photo session of the two of them as the are two different styles. Painted ladder was never offered but the red hubs were. I also did the detailing on the rear slightly different on my toy. Can you see it? Enjoy!!!
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br /></p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Jim--I think I like the one with the red ladder and hubs...very nice and interesting how you show step by step.  How do you normally strip Dinky bodies....do you bead blast them, or use some type of stripper?  Also, if you blast, does  the surface always come out nice and smooth...or do you need to polish or otherwise clean it up?  I also like the extra detailing you seem to do on many of the Dinky models.  Many of the English Dinky\'s have details cast into them, but many times not set off with accent paint, like silver.  Many of the French Dinky\'s I thought were better detailed, especially in the late 1950\'s.
Terry

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
It is super fantastic. Thanks very much, Jim.

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Terry, thank you for the comments. I also like the red ladder version too. That one is mine and in my display case.
I use a furniture paint and varnish stripper I get at any hardware store. Environmentally friendly and does not stink like most. Circa 1850 is its name. After rinsing and drying in my toaster oven I take the castings out to the garage and glass bead them. I was using a 000 grade glass bead but I think I may try a larger plastic bead instead. I have used up the last of my sand. Took me 3 years to go through a 50lb bag so not too bad.
Yes the castings come out nice and smooth but some, like the 190 caravan, you have to watch as if you get too close or stay on one area too long the sand or glass will heat up the metal and cause blisters. I have a dental tool I use to press the blister back to where you don\'t see it. I will do a post on it next time this happens. I have over 50 toys here to restore so it will happen again.

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Your very welcome Richard, Watch for the...Hmmm which one next....Breakdown truck, I think. Got a London Austin Taxi and a Chrysler to do yet to.

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #7

Fresh Boarder
Thats a nice looking engine i have one of these and your thread is a great bench mark standard i would love to achive.....great restoration

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 10 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Jim has quite a few of these restorations published at his photobucket site and over here in ToyCollector.

His expertise has inspired me to make restoring dinkies a little bit more serious.

Re:Dinky 25H 250 Fire Engine Restoration bound for New Zealand 2 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
After 8 years and 10 months I have brought this back with pictures replacing the Photo Bucket cat picture they used to replace mine. They stopped hosing photos so I have redone as many as I can find, still going when I find the free time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
  • Page: