Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 390 Customized Van

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #16

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Jim if I get a chance soon I will bang one off with some pictures. It is remarkably easy and only took about 10 minutes. The longest part was waiting for the black paint to dry as I thought it would be counter-productive to bake it in the oven! The trickiest part is to drill straight down the barrel, but with my small drill press and a vise on it there was no real problem. Just mark the depth on your drill bit with a bit of tape.

Cam 

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #17

Junior Boarder
Thanks for listing this one, as I have never seen it or just wasnt looking.
Anyway, couldnt resist and bought a boxed one on ebay. Could anyone please tell me what scale it is,1/36th ?

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #18

Administrator
Was the one bought item #120544244174 by any chance? I was thinking of bidding on that one, but didn\'t cos I spent too much money on cars recently!
I\'m not sure what scale it is - it\'s the same size as early 70\'s Dinky cars, so somewhere between 1/36 and 1/43, I think...

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #19

Junior Boarder
Yes, I think that was a very good price and surprised I bought it for that.
I still cant see how I got 2 different forums mixed up. Not to worry , I will try to see when released,
cheers

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
The scale is 1/42 as with most Dinky models made from 1964 onwards.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #21

Junior Boarder
I am waiting for the model I bought but does anyone know the year made and what catalogue it was in please?

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
According to Mike and Sue Richardson\'s Great Book of Dinky, the 390 Customised Transit Van was produced from 1979 to 1981 and was not available until after the factory closure. I doubt it would have made it into a catalogue. If it was not in the 1979, as I believe that was the last one, then it was not in a catalogue.The book also says it was dark blue, stickers: \"Vampire\", Metalflake light blue, no decals. Third Transit casting with wide wheels, hanging box.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
The 390 customised transit is in the 1979 catalogue and is on page 14 with full decals along with 115 U.B. Taxi and 120 Happy cab.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
It\'s actually the 1978 catalogue (there was no 1979 public catalogue, only a trade one), albeit as a preproduction model illustration. As I\'ve said before, care should be taken with the \'Great Book of Dinky\' and \'Dinky Toys and Modelled Miniatures\' especially where late production stuff is concerned as various errors do exist in the text. For example, the sticker says \'Vanpire\' (geddit?) not \'Vampire\'. The model was definately issued in 1979, and none would have been made after the factory closure of November that year. The only Binns Road model that was released after the factory closure was the 364 Space Shuttle, which is shown as a new item in 1980 trade publications.   

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Andyman7, glad you could clear that up. I did not think there was a general catalogue entry for this model for the public. I have never seen on anyway.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #26

Junior Boarder
Thank you all for the information,  it was well received. The model arrived and quite a good build quality.
1979 on the back,, so must have been among last models made?
  • Page: