Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 390 Customized Van

Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #1

Cam

Platinum Boarder
I managed to acquire two of these off ebay and was delighted as they finished my transit van collection. Unfortunately the complete one is missing the large black decal off the top, and the other was missing the rear door and the chrome side pipes had broken off.

390_Customized_Van1.jpg

I adopted my usual policy of ignoring the missing decal until I can figure out how to actually make them, but thought I would have a go at making some new pipes for the other one. I replaced the rear door with a minimal amount of trouble, but found the pipes were actually broken off from the plastic suspension unit inside.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by Cam.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #2

Cam

Platinum Boarder
You can see where they are broken by comparing the intact one with the damaged one.

390_fix1.jpg

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #3

Cam

Platinum Boarder
After a great deal of messing around with metal and plastic, I finally hit upon using wood to carve some replacement pipes using my trusty sander and some 1/4\" dowel I had lying around.

390_fix2.jpg

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #4

Cam

Platinum Boarder
I ended up with two of these after some careful work.

390_fix3.jpg

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #5

Cam

Platinum Boarder
I then made a couple of small metal brackets and glued the pipes to them. I had to be a bit finicky to get the distances right so the pipes would sit at the right spot when the toy was assembled again.

390_fix4.jpg

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #6

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Unfortunately epoxy glue did not work very well in holding the metal to the plastic. It may have been too cold out in my shop, so I drilled through both, tapped it out to a 4-40 thread and attached them using 4-40 X 1/4\" pan head screws. then used glue to stabilize the whole thing.

390_fix5.jpg

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #7

Cam

Platinum Boarder
A quick paint job and it is looking like it may work.

390_fix6.jpg

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #8

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Put the whole works together and it didn\'t turn out half bad. Not as good as original but it will pass.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #9

Cam

Platinum Boarder
I apologize for building the thread this way, but I have no idea how to upload multiple pictures from my home computer. I only know how to do it from the web.

Cam 

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #10

Administrator
Hi Cam,

Great work - I\'ve always loved this model, it\'s so cool and the sidepipes look good!

No worries at all on how you made the thread, but do you have your pics hosted in photobucket? Or are they in a toycollector gallery? You can insert multiple pics in one post from either one. LMK which you\'re using and I\'ll explain how to do it.

I have the maddest Dinky custom transit that someone built out of the earlier version - or two of them! It\'s been elongated and has six wheels (twin axles at the back). It was in with a collection I bought a while ago and parted out and it was so cool I had to keep it! I need to look it out and take some pics.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #11

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Baskingshark. I am just using the reply button on the forum here. I know about multiple image posting of pictures on the net, but not off my own hard drive. I have no idea about photobucket I am afraid.

I would love to see your stretch version of this toy. I had hunted for one for my collection for a terribly long time but the prices just went way too high. I finally scored both of them in one ebay auction for a mere 10 dollars as the seller had it in the wrong catagory. It is a very neat version of the vans I think.

Cam

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
It just shows how opinions vary - elsewhere on \'10 worst Dinky Toys of all time\' the 390 Customised Transit is one of the nominations, but I agree that it is actually quite good fun. I\'m lucky enough to have the set of 4 customised vehicles - Corvette, Transit, Range Rover and Land Rover, the last being really hard to find!

Nice rebuild job there - I\'ve always thought these models were good basis points for making fun variations. The final Transit casting was never offered as an \'ordinary\' van - only as versions of emergency or rescue vehicles, but this model is the source of a \'clean\' van body casting without roof lights. Mated to the chassis of one of the emergency versions, you could make an ordinary delivery van version. Like many later Dinkys it\'s all screw assembled so dead easy to do.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
wow, using wood to make parts... who\'da thought.

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #14

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Actually this is the second time I have used wood to repair a toy. I built a hydraulic cylinder for the 984 Atlas Digger out of some 1/4\" dowelling I had knocking around. Drill it out, sand it, and put a cotter pin in it, and you\'re good to go!

Cam 

Re:Dinky 390 Customized Van 11 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Cam, you should take a few pictures of making the hydraulic cylinder out of wood next time. It would be a great post in Tips and Hints.

Jim
  • Page: