Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fab 1 restore project

Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #1

I\'ve had this one on the table for several months now, waiting for room to work on it. I finally got it started this past weekend, and was surprised to find it fairly clean under all that green metallic paint. Ther is some minor play wear to the trim stiprs on the sides, and the green was on the bumpers under the body. All the springs for the projectiles are present and working, there is some discoloration to the interior chrome. It\'s ready to prime and paint, and with a bit of luck, I can start to reassemble this weekend.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
That is looking good Rob and the base is nice and shiny. Will look good when back in. Nice job on stripping. Do you wire wheel? or ???

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
there are several type of wheels. I like the spun hubs.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
Looking good so far Rob.
I have done one of these recently and found it quite a pleasant and easy model to work with.Here is the one i done.I did have before piccies but can\'t find them now.

Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by kev19641964.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #5

Nobleco wrote:
That is looking good Rob and the base is nice and shiny. Will look good when back in. Nice job on stripping. Do you wire wheel? or ???

Thank you! I use strippers on the die cast parts, It only takes a second for a wire wheel to start tearing up the casting. I used a cotton wadding polish on the base called Never Dull. I used it on the chrome and polished aluminum on my Freightliner and it\'s perfect for bright metal on die cast cars.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I don\'t like to use a wire wheel on Die cast either. I have a brass bristled cup brush for my drill press and have it set at about 600 rpm or so. Not too fast. Use it mostly for wire wheeling the tin base plates and polishing my axles. I have a side by side bench grinder/polisher out in the garage with my blasting booth. I see my secret of Never Dull is out. I have been using that stuff on my bikes and cars since the early 70\'s. Works great on the spun hubs after doing them on my polishing wheel with rouge on it. Just dang hard to hold the little ones though.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #7

The guy I bought the 56 IH from turned me onto Never Dull when I bought the truck. It\'s been in the side box of every truck I\'ve had since then. I had to di[p the base in alcohol before I hit it with the wadding to clean the worst of the grime off and then about two hours of work brought it to that shine.The body is curing now, and I\'ll let it sit until Friday or Saturday before I work on it again.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
how do you plan on putting it back together, \'cause I\'m struggling with one of my worst on that score.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #9

I use a number 50 drill and tap the hole with a 2/56 screw. I don\'t like it when folks try to pass off a restore as a \"near mint\" original, and by using the screw, I remove all doubt. There is a set sold to model railroaders by Kadee that contains a #50 drill bit, a 2/56 tap and a #43 drill bit for clearance holes.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I\'m very interested in purchasing this set, but I don\'t think we have it here in NZ.

I have a little trouble fully restoring three of mine, and one in the same condition of yours is already apart. Kinda limited to simple replacements but no repaints.

The screw idea suits me mine.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #11

I\'ll check with my supplier and get back to you. I\'ve got an order going out next week and can add it to the order if they have it in stock.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #12

Here are some update pics. The paint is some of the easiest I\'ve used. I shot it at about 25lbs pressure through a medium tip on my airbrush and it is smooth and covered very nicely. The glass is a little ill fitting, but will come around with a little time and finesse.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Well, you have done this model very proud Rob. Job well done. It looks really good.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
what did you use for the rear light rockets?

nice touch on the windscreen surround and rib dividers on the bubble.

I don\'t think I have those wheels.

Awesome paintjob.

Can you show us a pic for underneath? I\'d like to make a print out to study for my ones.

Re:Fab 1 restore project 11 years, 9 months ago #15

Yes Richard, I will take a couple shots of the bottom so you can see the tapped holes, screws and see Jim for the rear missiles, they are from his shop.
  • Page: