Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer

Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here is one of my favorite castings, the Austin London Taxi 40H by Dinky Toys. The driver is cast into the base plate which is also of cast material, not tin like most newer toys. The Austin taxi first came out in 1951 not long after I was born in late 1950. I never had one of these as a kid but would have loved on if I had know they even existed. Any way here is how it looked when I received it.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I then disassembled the Taxi and found a bunch of dirt etc inside behind the driver.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>Next comes the stripping and bead blasting.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>A little primer and we are ready for painting.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>Alrighty then, a little paint is in order. The base and driver are Flat Black while the taxi is a Dark Midnight blue.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>First light coat on the Taxi.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>Second Coat of paint applied.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>This one really needed a third coat to completely cover it. Blue can be a hard paint to get right.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>Finished model coming right up after this commercial Break</p>
<p>Wondering what to do about your stock portfolio now that the market has tanked??? Buy Amalgamated Buggy Whips stock, it has no where to go but up.</p>
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>And here it is in all of its Glory.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Here are a few thumbnails that take you to my Photo Bucket Pages Which are no longer working unless you pay for a subscription.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />There, I have restored this restoration which I believe I did for our very own RVREO who I believe is back on with his new rides as his avatar</p>
<p>This was from a long time ago but I have another of these Taxis to add to my own collection which will make all three now in my possession.</p>
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Beautiful job, mate.

I\'m thrilled at the colour. It looks a thousand times better and there\'s no way I could\'ve done this car justice.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Glad you like it Richard. Wait until I get the Streamlined Fire Engine done. I is next then the wrecker. We have to talk colors on the wrecker.I also added the finished pictures to the Chrysler Royal Sedan thread.

Last Edit: 10 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
and more praise for you on the Chrysler.

been wanting to restore it for years. Its now the pride of my collection. Always liked these classic models and its a hard one to find too. I\'ve been looking, the Commodore is easier to find.

Got to make a special display for these, I\'ll have to look around, bound to be crystal clear cases around.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I use 1:24 scale display cases for some of my models. Cost is about $10 each and they are stackable. They come in two different heights too. I have about 5 and you can get 2, 3 or even 4 toys in one at a time. Look in your hobby stores etc.  AMT and Revell have them I believe.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That is absolutely fabulous.  Thanks for the step-by-step photos!

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Karl, I do this with most of my builds and when I post, if I have the time, I will put all pictures up in the post. The rest will be in my photo bucket pages. Private but if you want the password, try lazurus, I have nothing to hide and there are quite a few models there most with the history included.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Another great resto.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #10

I agree with you on the blue being hard to paint. Another excellent job.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
best decision I\'ve ever made sending these four to you Jim

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Again, thanks Richard. Can\'t wait to do the Streamlined fire engine. That is one nice model and I love the shape.
Plain unpainted ladder and brass bell.

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 10 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I\'m fairly certain that you\'ll do it more justice than I did. Then can write another blog about it. 25H vs 25H LOL

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 7 months, 1 week ago #14

Platinum Boarder
10 years and 2 months ago I did this taxi for Richard. I now have the third and final one for my self. I already have the all Yellow one and the Yellow and Green one. Now I will do the dark Blue one but it won't be until this coming fall as I am busy putting my collection of toys into a collection that I can keep track of. Numbered and filed in a card file and the number refers to the the toy in my picture files.
Anyway here is what my project starts out at and it only cost me $10.88 earlier this month. All the way from England along with the Bedford Dinky Toys Van I posted earlier today. That one was $11.86

Re:Dinky 40H Taxi Restoration for a customer 7 months, 1 week ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Sure seems to be some nasties growing inside this taxi.