Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project

Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I am in the process of editing this thread as Photo Bucket is not supporting their Hot Links anymore. I am replacing all photos and doing a bit of formate editing as well. Enjoy the new larger pictures what start showing up if you join me here while I am editing.

You may remember the posting of the Car Transporter and trailer I did some time ago. It is a highlight at the top of this section of the forum. I have again been commissioned by the same customer to do another code 3 project for him. This is the Pallet-Jekta Van and it will be towing a trailer with canopy, in the same livery with pallets on board. The Van has no moving parts and was missing the interior floor. The owner has fabricated the parts and assembled them for me. I can see what he has done and take them apart for final touch up and painting. This will be a very interesting project. Not so much the Livery or the theme of Truck and Trailer but the new floor and fenders. It also comes with one of those flimsy windscreens you have to cut out of the plastic it was formed from. Vaccu-form? Not proper anyway. I think it came from Zimmerman in Canada here. Stay tuned for updates as I progress. I will revive this thread from time to time to bring you all up to date. This will be a filler project and could take a couple of months to complete between all the other projects I have at the moment. Over 30 vehicles to do. Here are a few Pictures. First the project I will be working on. Most of the parts are supplied by the same person mentioned above. I will do a comparison of parts later in the thread but for now here is the project.

Now for the Vehicle I am taking in trade for the work. Complete Pallet-Jekta with 2 cast pallets. All in working order. There is some touch up painting done on the rear doors and on the cab.

See Ya Soon, Mates.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Very interesting. Do you have to modify or finish the front base plate so the wheels will fit on. The vacuum formed windscreen instead of being injected plastic moulded. Looking forward to the production rebuild on this particular pallet freighter there Jim.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #3

Looks like a early 50s Chevy or GMC to me. Can\'t wait to see what you do with this one.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Okay lets get started on this build. It is going to be an interesting one. I have striped and primed the parts and will show some here. First is the main body/chassis. Fitting up the base plate was easier than I thought it would be.

Above I have shown the new base plate that Jan sent with the truck. You saw the basic plate earlier in the thread. I have filed it all and bent the tabs after drilling holes in the correct places for height etc. I then marked the base tabs at the front by installing the hubs and axles and using a .05mm draftsman's pen, marked out the circle. This was taken off with a thin wheel disc sander on my dremel.

Here we have the truck sitting up right and it looks like all is in alignment. Good job on the template, Jan.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Now comes the box and the bases and the pallets. I am doing the 2 I received with my payment truck.

Above, I have the canopy for the trailer, the base for the box and the three pallets that go with this truck.

Above is the trailer after soaking in degreasing fluid. 

After stripping with Super Clean degreaser, I glass bead blasted it and this is what the trailer looks like after that.

A quick coat of primer and then maybe a sand and another coat of primer and we shall be ready for paint.

I have painted both base plates gloss black and they turned out quite nice. I will be showing them next time. I will be painting the light color, Primrose yellow, tomorrow.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
ok the second lot of pics didn\'t come up very well... probably a link problem. (nah, you were just too early, I was still editing. LOL, Jim)

Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I was still editing them, they should be fine now.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
thanks to this pic  

...fixed a problem with a pair of plyers. Runs real smooth now

Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Next is on to the finishing off of the base for the box. I should have shown this step before the primed canopy and pallets as the base is in there too. LOL

Again, most of the work was done by the owner of this toy, Jan. I just had to final fit it as his hands can not do the fine work anymore. It was not that easy but not real hard. Just took my time, thought about it and went for it. Turned out alright and should work. You will notice in the previous shots of the primed base, there is masking tape. I will be gluing there to the side of the box. I mark the corners lightly inside the box there the tin goes and then take the paint off inside that line. You have to put glue in the area where there is no paint, not too much, and then it will stick real good. If not the paint to paint bond is stronger than the paint to body or paint to base plate and will break off. Learned that the hard way too.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Glad to have been of help Richard.

RVREVO wrote:
thanks to this pic  

...fixed a problem with a pair of plyers. Runs real smooth now

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
you\'re always helpful. And its the last toycar I\'m buying for a long time.

y\'all know why...

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Well, I have painted the light yellow or Cream color as it is the lightest. Dark over light. Easier to cover and uses less paint. More masking tape in this case mind you.

All the various parts I have painted and that are ready to assemble. Just need to mask and paint the darker orange color.

Pallets, Rear Doors and Hubs Painted.

I have a window unit I have to cut out. Yuck! Just above the tires there.
All the little bits, polished axles too.
Now comes the masking. Remember I said it will take more tape this way. I was not kidding.

I now have the first coat of the orange/yellow on.. More pictures when the paint is finished.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
sheez... this truck looks tough. I\'ll just have some doors and pallets. Paid way too much to go to the extreme of repainting.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
This one is a Code 3. It is harder in that the floor for the box and the chassis for the cab had to be made. These were made up pretty good by the owner of this Pallet-Jecta Van. I just touched them up and drilled the holes and bent them to shape. The bump for the rear axle was already there. There is no working mechanism or moving floor in this one and it will be pulling a trailer. There are a lot of parts though and more on the real truck.

EDIT:
Here I want to add that down the road I found out that the base for the box would not work and I was not happy with that. I made a new one.

Re:Dinky 930 Pallet Jekta Van with Trailer Code 3 Project 10 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
one way or another its an impressive undertaking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco