Are these Revell cars common?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are these Revell cars common?

Are these Revell cars common? 13 years ago #1

Expert Boarder
Would love to see iamges of the real things, in particular the Crovette Sting Ray GT.

Revelll_800.jpg
Last Edit: 13 years ago by Tom1.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 13 years ago #2

Platinum Boarder
So that\'s what I\'ve got. Picked up a body of a Corvette a couple of decades ago. Just didn\'t know from which set it came.

Now that I know its Revell I can hunt for its proper chassis.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 11 years, 7 months ago #3

Fresh Boarder
I have the AC Cobra Revel slot unassembled in the box bought at a Buxton swopmeet in the late Eighties

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 8 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Revell slot cars are some of the easiest old slot cars to find because they produced many hundreds of thousands of them in both the 1/24 and 1/32 scale, and when the hobby collapsed in 1968, many unsold mint and boxed kits were put away and have since surfaced on the open market.

While intact, pristine complete kits are most desirable, the most commonly found today are body kits and chassis kits for the 1/24 scale Lotus-Ford and BRM F1, as well as the Cobra, Corvette and Ferrari GTO. Prices vary depending on the type of kit and condition, from a couple of hundreds of dollars for a mint complete kit down to as low as 30 bucks for a Lotus or BRM body kit. Chassis kits bring 30 to 40 bucks, and most were powered by the ubiquitous Mabuchi FT16 of FT36, of which www.electricdreams.com has an ample supply in the form of "Russkit 22" and various kinds of Mabuchi FT36D motors.

The Lotus 23 and Porsche RS61 are also commonly found. All the aforementioned models take three different kinds of chassis but none are rare.

In the 1/32 scale line, the Cobra roadster is quite common especially as a body kit (yellow plastic), as well as the Ferrari GTO and the two versions of the Corvette, a split-window 1963 model and a later 1965 version. The Jaguar XKE, the Mercedes-Benz 300SL and the Aston-Martin DB5 are also coming up at swap meets and auctions quite often. Depending on the year issued and the type of model (RTR or kit) for which they were used, body colors vary, and collectors are eagerly seeking the rare issues. A little more difficult to find are the two later models, the Chaparral 2 and the Lang-Cooper (Cooper-Cobra in Revellspeak) in their different versions. The UK had their own issues with bodies produced in different colors and are a bit harder to get.

The "Series 2" of the above kits issued in new packaging and featuring brass chassis are much harder to find.

The later Revell cars (1968) with plastic chassis and American "muscle car" bodies are much less aesthetically pleasing and only the British kits made of them appear to be difficult to find intact. Values in any case are rather low.

You can see several of the Revell slot cars in both 1/24 and 1/32 scale on the LASCM website at www.LASCM.com

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I'll dig up the shell of the Makoshark 'vette I have. would be nice to have a proper slotcar chassis for it to put on display.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 8 months ago #6

Fresh Boarder
If you have a 1/32 scale Mako, it is not by Revell. The only 1/32 scale Mako body I am aware of (besides a possible clear-plastic vac-formed body) is a from static kit by Aurora, molded in deep, almost navy blue.

Revell strictly made the following Corvettes in the 1/32 scale:

-1963 "split window", the body kit molded in red, the body in the full kit molded in white.

-1965 Sting Ray coupe, body kit and full kit molded in blue, body on the racing sets (RTR models) in white.

In the 1/24 scale, they made the 1965 coupe first in blue, then in red, and there are test shots in white.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
thanks for that.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 5 months ago #8

Fresh Boarder
Greetings from a new forum member!

Thanks for giving me the excuse to show my split window Corvette Stingray. Other Revell cars in the background, the Mercedes, Ferrari and a Jaguar XKE bodyshell. These are common cars (Aston Martin and Cooper Cobra have been a bit more difficult to get), but good quality, and you can get spares easily.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 5 months ago #9

Administrator
Wow, great models!

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 5 months ago #10

Fresh Boarder
Thanks a lot. I've done some static kit building, and with these polystyrene bodies you can easily apply the same techniques of sanding, polishing, engraving panel lines etc. Only the Ferrari is painted, usually I just polish and wax. This way you don't have to worry that much about scratching the surface while racing. And I prefer to see and feel the original material.
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by lord_hevonen.

Re:Are these Revell cars common? 10 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Like the Stingray and the Ferrari looks great as well!  Welcome on board!
  • Page: