1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys

1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 3 weeks ago #1

<p>In the provence Noord-Holland where I live, the capital Haarlem houses "Het Noord-Hollands Archief". <span style="font-size: 12.16px;">I think all English speaking members know what that means. </span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: 12.16px;">In their collection is a photopgraph of a lay-out of some streets. Can you image what the streets would look like with all these Dinky Toys around?</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 3 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I always wonder , when I see these old photographs what happened to the actual layouts, fantastic picture you can imagine this in colour.

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 3 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Very nice and well done too. Like Tick says, I wonder too where the actual lay out is. Maybe in a dusty attic or dingy basement on the museum?

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 5 days ago #4

I wish I could tell you all but I don't know. Don't even know which town or city it is. If it is a real lay-out ofcourse. On the left I noticed the street signs, all Dinky to me though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 5 days ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I guess the sign in the back ground is of no help?

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 5 days ago #6

Platinum Boarder
having one of those in the basement would be so cool

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 4 days ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Agreed. I have a Hornby Dublo Train set from the 1950's that would go good on this layout. Down the left side of the display, around the top of the display and back down the right hand side and back to the beginning. That way you have a complete display with town and railway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: janwerner

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 3 days ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Nice layout, Theo! I have lived in Haarlem for many years. However, this table layout does not represent anything I know of, neither in Haarlem nor somewhere else in Noord-Holland. Isn’t there any reference in the Haarlem archives as to when and where this scene took place?
It must have served an educational purpose, a practical theory lesson for future car drivers, in order to get their driving licence. I have known a similar table in another town where I lived, which was housed in a driving school, clearly visible from the street. I have spent much time looking through that window! Virtually all models visible must be Dinky Toys. The point duty police man is Schuco. The buildings and pavements etc. look very clean and nice.
I show some pictures below, with similar scenes from a little booklet, to accompany a schoolradio lesson (1956-1957), including many – but not all – Dinky Toys. Kind regards, Jan

picture hosting

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 3 days ago #9

Platinum Boarder
By the way, this schoolradio lesson obviously had to do with the (then future) introduction, in 1957, of Belisha Beacons, 'knipperbollen', in the Netherlands.
A very naive, but interesting for the real 1:1 Dinky Toys, education film, about their introduction:

Re: 1950's/1960's Dutch street layout with Dinky Toys 2 weeks, 2 days ago #10

<p>Jan, I have sent you an email. All photos are to be seen via the link below. You are visiting the website of "het Noordhollands Archief" noord-hollandsarchief.nl/beelden/beeldba...amp;page=1</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by RoutemasterNL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: janwerner
  • Page: