Display Case Lighting
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Display Case Lighting

Display Case Lighting 6 months, 4 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hi All</p>
<p>I've finally finished a little corner in my basement I can call my own and have begun unpacking my boxes after all these years. I went with display cabinets with glass front and solid shelves as opposed to glass shelves as the price was in my budget. Glass gets expensive. I may choose to replace the solid shelves later but for now, it's nice to see what I actually own for a change as opposed to closed moving/storage boxes stacked in the corner </p>
<p>Obvious downside to solid shelves is poor lighting. I was wondering if any of you display in cabinets with solid shelves and what lighting ideas you came up with.</p>

Re: Display Case Lighting 6 months, 4 weeks ago #2

I don't have solid shelves, mine are glass shelves. Because I have a special glass cutter, it is easy to cut the glass and sand the edges down with a special tiffany sanding machine.

Led strips come to mind for lighting the models. A quick search gave this: (price in Australian dollars)

Re: Display Case Lighting 6 months, 4 weeks ago #3

But I think they are available in Canada too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tick

Re: Display Case Lighting 6 months, 4 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Yes they are available easy enough. I figure I will end up using something similar. There are also the flat ribbon types as well as "pucks". I have 4 cabinets side by side with 6 shelves in each. Because light from the room wont penetrate throughout I will need to add lighting to each shelf space. I want the lighting to be connected in one circuit through all cabinets and operate via one switch. I expect the strips of LED lighting will work or pucks as long as they can be connected in series. I just wanted to see if there were any suggestions out there I didn't think of before purchasing lights, drilling holes in the cabinets/shelves and wiring a switched electrical circuit.

Re: Display Case Lighting 6 months, 4 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Interesting topic as I would like to have shelves similar to what is shown here. I have to wait for now as our home is too small to ad more shelves at this time.

Re: Display Case Lighting 6 months, 3 weeks ago #6

I think the LED strips are self adhesive, so mounting it under a shelf shouldn't be a problem.I don't know if the individual strips can be connected though

Re: Display Case Lighting 6 months, 3 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
If they are LED and have wires on both ends you can put a lot together in series depending on the voltage needed.
  • Page: