The Repair shop: Fixing Britain
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain

The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Trying to get some life into the forum.....</p>
<p>I got a mail from the BBC company last week in which they said they saw some of my resto's, and in particular some postings about the Prameta models.</p>
<p>They explained this: the BBC has done a long lasting series called 'The repair shop'. Seven seasons now I think, and I have seen most. Starting yesterday they are doing a spin-off, meaning they tell you more background stuff about each item, making the program longer than the previous ones.</p>
<p>In the first series a Prameta Jaguar was repaired by the clock maker. This time they wanted to tell something about the company, and therefore needed extra pictures.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Keesie.

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>So they adressed me and asked if they could use some. Of course I agreed, and they will place my name in the titles after the program. The Prameta episode will be aired on July 15, at 16.30 hours (17.30 in Holland).</p>
<p>In between the contact I told them what else I restored, as the Prametas are just a small side step in my collection. You never know, they might do a program in future in which Dinkies and Corgis  are repaired.............</p>

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
An episode on restoring the toys and models we all collect will be very interesting for forum members but the BBC will want to fully understand what restoring a model is all about. Restoring a toy car or model back to factory finish so it looks like it has just come from the factory is not what a lot of collectors do. Instead they rebuild models intoa displayable condition from hunks of very well played with models!

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
As the series is called The Repair Shop, repairing toys and models fits in perfectly and members on this forum have done some superb projects among them with many repaired and rebuilt models. So the emphesis should be on repaired models more than restored models.

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>GREAT that they adressed me, right?</p>
<p>Threre is a fine line between repaired and restored. No doubt you have sene tonights episode, in which the contrast between restore and repair is clear in several objects:</p>
<p>A doll was brought in from 1939. The head was split, and had to be REPAIRED. However, there was not much left of the original clothes, so new ones had to be made. I would say that is RESTORE. A kids bike needed a full RESTORE, and parts had to be rechromed and some replaced by new parts. Today there was a music box, heavily damaged because a German bomb fell on the house where it was in. The owner wanted it REPAIRED so it would play again, but the damage to the wooden outisde box had to remain.</p>

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That fine line between repair and restore certainly is fine especially if an item is subjected to both a repair and some restoration.

I am pleased for you that the BBC did contact you and you should make the most of it by pushing your enthusiasm and repairing skills on models right under their noses, you never know what this might lead to!

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Yep! Imagine a TV program in which a guy shows up with battered models from his dad or so........hey, a doubledecker,.......Theo, please join us........hey, a Dinky, Jim, come here please......</p>

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Indeed, it could make celebrities of all of you.

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>.....and what do we have here? a real Lady Penelope limo.......roll in the Rollerman!</p>

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #11

That is nice to read Kees, I have seen the programme a few times and I shall keep an eye out on the 15th of July Programme. Dutch/Canadian invasion at the repairshop

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>I don't get that show here in Western Canada and it does not really interest me in being a part of it. I like what I do for my self now and want to keep it that way. Besides I am too far away and have too much to do around the house this year to be a part of it. If they want to use some of my pictures from here on the forum that is fine by me.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>That's your honest opinion Jim, ok. Still, if you would have a chance to see the program (earlier episodes are on Youtube) you'll be surprised though.</p>
<p>Also, we have been discussing in the past that it can be rather rude and not very polite to use pictures without permission. They asked me politely and sent me a contract in which I stated to give them permission, so that's good.</p>
<p>Oh, you will probably see my pictures for a few seconds and see my name go by very quickly in the end titles, so no big deal.</p>
<p>I have just seen today's episode, and besides repairing, the program relies heavily on the emotions of the owners. There has to be a story attached to it, otherwise it is no fun.</p>
Last Edit: 1 month ago by Keesie.

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
well done Keesie, I mentioned this programme when i restored the Triang bus as they did a sympathetic restoration on a single deck one they also restored a pedal car & a Raleigh Chopper.

Re: The Repair shop: Fixing Britain 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kees, it is appreciated that you understand my point of view. I have seen the show as from time to time it comes on here as a free preview to hook you into having it included with your cable package. What I have sees was interesting like the restoration of the penny farthing bicycle I saw a couple years ago.Otherwise it is not available here and I don't really do You tube even if I have posted there a few times.
I don't mind It others or this show uses my pictures, as I stated above, and I don't really care if they mention me or not. I put my work and pictures up here and only here to show what is possible and not to glorify my self or my work but to help others who may want to try to restore a cherished toy they have hand for decades. Some may think that as I have the most posts, the most popular member via messages, the most thank yous, the third most popular member and the third most visited thread and almost the most likes and visits to my page that I am in this for myself or for personal attention. Far from that. I just want to help people with a hobby they enjoy or even love as I do. You can visit my eBay store and check out my feed back to see how people react to me and my store and how they like it or not. That is up to any or all of you but I have no desire to present myself other that what I am. A person who likes to restore and hopes that others enjoy my work and can gain some knowledge of the craft. That is all I can hope for. The few who do not like my ads on eBay or my work, that is their decision and I respect that and do not call them our or complain. I don't even mind when very few look at my posts as it may not interest them.enough to look or make a comment. I do this for my own satisfaction as a restorer and hopefully for the enjoyment of others.
  • Page: