What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!

TOPIC: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic?

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #61

Senior Boarder
Well done - I can't put the web site on here but there is a very good supplier of parts based in Holland called Modelcarparts, a search will find him. He speaks excellent English and has a large range of spares. He IS currently operating and posts anywhere
Well done with the barrel !

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #62

Platinum Boarder
I just got notice that Steve Flowers is open again. I have an order with him, quite large in fact, that I placed back on June 28th. Then he told me it would be a 2 to 4 week turn around on my order the he closed a couple days later due to the virus. It will then take about a month to arrive here due to the virus and the slow postal outlets and sorting stations. They are all working with half the staff due to social distancing requirements.
I have never been charged duty or taxes for SF orders and I have dealt with him pretty much every month since I started my eBay store back in 2016. Never. Your in Canada and we have an agreement with Britain the toys and parts for toys come in Duty Free and no tax unless your Province charges tax on all items based on the amount you purchase. He usually put £5.00 to £15.00 on the label and that comes in free even though I usually order $300.00 worth of parts each month.
I deal with Rob at Modelcarparts from time to time but his mailing costs are more as he is in Holland and he also buys most of his parts and decals from Steve. He has a lot of French Dinky stuff that Steve does not have though.
I would call Steve before ordering. His number is on his website but don't forget the country code.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #63

Platinum Boarder

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #64

Platinum Boarder
I have always been happy with Steve's stuff (although I don't order a lot) and his postage and turn around has been fairly quick (although I haven't ordered from him over COVID). But like you mentioned, he doesn't always have what I am looking for so nice to know another reputable supplier may have what he doesn't. Thanks for sharing.

As for shipping delays. A few months ago I had a few ebay purchases coming from Europe that took over a month to me in Canada. Shipping and receiving countries have been inundated with higher than Xmas levels of packages in addition to their COVID protocols such as disinfecting. This week, I received a model shipped from Germany via tracked service in 10 days. So, postage seems to getting back to normal

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #65

Platinum Boarder
I know what you mean Malcolm. I am waiting on another Rolls Royce Silver Wraith from England I bought on June 29. Supposed to be here 2 days ago but one month is a bit quick, as you say. Social distancing is the worst on the PO system. Half the sorters and half the counter people with, like you day. Christmas volumes every day. Our little one person PO has a time of it and some days she does not get it all done by closing time. Stays a bit late to finish but them it happens the next day and the day after that too. She has parcels and packaged of all sized all over the place. Even beds, mattresses and bar fridges among others like Water Skis of all things. You can get anything in the mail if you want to. Also most couriers don't come to our little town so the PO has to send them from the Okanagan. Half our drive to the nearest drop off too. Fed Ex, Purolator, and others won't come here. We have a local DHL and one other courier called Ace that do some here but not often. DHL is more European I think.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #66

Platinum Boarder
I have bought some `spot On items from a seller in Germany. Really quick and good service - HOT 1954 was his Ebay name.

And a few other items!!!

What I have found is that at Auctions and on E Bay there have been a lot of silly prices.

I put it down to 'Lock Down Fever!"

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #67

Platinum Boarder
Lock down fever and also to people seeming to think these old toys are worth a fortune when most are not. I too see silly prices so I just brows every now and then and look for the ones with good buy it now prices or sometimes low priced auctions. As long as the shipping is not out of this world that is.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #68

Platinum Boarder
Actually I haven't bought any toys this year but did sell off some surplus doubles and triples locally to some collectors, that I didn't need, thus making some room on my shelfs.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #69

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
I have purchased another Rolls Royce Silver Wraith for my two tone collection. About $20 including shipping from England to Canada so deals are still out there. The seller said "Rare to find tax disc, GB and Running In stickers still in place. Dated 1959.": He got the year correct at lest. Now I have to decide what color combination I should do. My wife pointed out that most of the RR I have done match up with the Craft beers I have been buying. I will post pictures of the cars with the beers in another post this coming weekend and you can decide. Am I influenced???

This purchase from June 27th arrived today, Aug 12. Takes that long from England to here in Canada when I can get a package to the UK in about 7 to 10 days. What is the Royal Mail doing with the mail in the mean time. I guess there are not that many planes going from the UK to Western Canada these days yet my order, mailed July 22 will be here tomorrow. I guess the guy mailed it Ground when he said Airmail in his ad.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #70

Platinum Boarder
what is ground from UK? Does that mean "ocean" via boat?

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #71

Platinum Boarder
Yes, it usually goes by boat if sent 3rd class or ground mail. It has happened in the past but usually takes from 54 to 65 days to get to BC. This was just held up by the post office in Britain as there were no flights on a regular basis coming to Canada. They now wait until there is a sufficient amount of mail to send. That can take some time what with the virus.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #72

Platinum Boarder
That's what I assumed (ground being by sea). I typically assume it comes via Royal Air so I neglect to confirm if the seller is using ground. However, as you said, with COVID nothing is predictable. I received an item from Denmark that took almost 2 months, and item from within Ontario that was a 40 minute drive away (one way) that took almost 3 weeks (!!!!!!!) and yet another from Germany in 10 days (which was impressive regardless of COVID). I am waiting on an item from UK now into the 13th day.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #73

Platinum Boarder
I got my order today, the one they received on June 28. July 2 they were shut down again so I had to wait longer as my original order was sent in on March 10. I noticed the charge on my Credit Card on July 21 so assumed they were now open and that the parcel was mailed that day or the next. Also the web site did not have the Covid-19 warning that they were closed and not accepting orders.
It arrived today, Aug 13, so 22 days to arrive here instead of the 5 to 10 it usually is, most times about 7 or 8 days.

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #74

Platinum Boarder
at least they arrived

Re: What have you bought during the Covid-19 Pandemic? 3 years, 8 months ago #75

Platinum Boarder
Yes they did and I am happy and having fun sorting it all out.