Today at Model Plaza and Toms
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Today at Model Plaza and Toms

Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>This morning I went to Model Plaza and Toms. It's been a very long time ago since I visited them, but this will become clear when I told you all.</p>
<p>First of all, once a week I take the new car for a spin. The previous one, since new, had a low battery in a week or so after not using it, due to electric circuits which could not be shut off, so I always had to prepare and load it when I knew I had to use it.</p>
<p>Due to that, It is hard to trust a new car. Also, in the crisis we have now, I had the idea to make a ride once a week. At first it started to my surprise after a week, but now I am sort of used to it. It just starts......</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Keesie.

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>Let me explain the two shops to you first.</p>
<p>Toms was a small garage-shop in the 90's in a village nearby where I live. He, Tom, sold mainly 1:18 models, and he got them first hand from the US, so mostly cheaper then normal. He became bigger, and moved, untill he ended up in the industrial area of the city of Purmerend, so outside the city. Again he got bigger, and after a few locations he ended in September to the location where I went to today. Nowadays he sells all scales, kits, children toys, but mainly all based on cars.</p>
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Keesie.

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Model Plaza was set up by a gentleman who has two sons. The father worked mainly 'behind the shop', the sons did the shop. The shop was located also in the same area as Toms, and it was big, very big. It was like a museum, and I went there regularly, not even to buy, but just to see the feast.....a section on wars, planes, fire brigade, agriculture, movies, you name it. Screens with accompanying movies, which you could watch in a corner with coffee. Seats and books to read. About 5 years ago they moved, same area, but smaller. Still a fairly big model shop, but not really fun to look around longer than needed. Also it tends to be a bit messy, meaning a lot of models are not placed in logical order.</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>From my place it is only a 10 minute ride, and both shops are only two minutes apart. I decided to go to Model Plaza first, and was allowed to take some pictures.</p>
<p>On the ground floor other shops, a normal stairway leading to Model Plaza on the first.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This might interest Theo.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>A small old Corgi section.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>And a few pictures of the rest.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>And that was it. I had some wishes, so I asked the guy:</p>
<p>-A Volkswagen combi T1 scale 1:47 (which I want to transform into Corgi nr 356 Army personel vehicle.</p>
<p>- A red Mustang 2015 in any scale</p>
<p>- A bag of unpainted figurines, scale 1:43</p>
<p>- A model called Gamine Vignale, based on a Fiat 500.</p>
<p>He could not help me with any of these, so after a quick look around I went to Toms.</p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>A lot of parking places with Toms.</p>
<p>
85 ethanol gas near me</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The main floor is for the administration and distribution. These stairs lead to the actual shop.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p> </p>
<p>Here the inside.</p>
<p>
downtown athletic club amarillo tx</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>
sawmill grill hampstead</p>
<p>
dell keyboard test software</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>As you can see, hardly any visitors, and this was today, Saturday.....</p>
<p>Same questions of what I wanted. Nothing, only a WHITE Mustang 2015 in scale 1:18.......</p>
<p>As I brought a Corgi Volkswagen as an example, I could compare it to the ones he had for sale. The boxes said they were 1:43, and I knew the Corgi scale is 1:47. So I did not buy any.</p>
<p>Now you know why I seldom go there. They are both good shops, but they rarely have anything I am looking for.</p>

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #11

Thanks for the photos Kees. I know Tom and were a regular visitor to his shop, mainly for buying the SunStar Routemasters buses in 1/43. Nice people work there. I did the same, visiting ModelPlaza and Toms in one go. Model Plaza is not my favorite shop, the prices for his toys and kits are a bit steep. The Corgi Display with the Routemasters is interesting, I think it is an original one. The Routemasters are in my collection already

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #12

Platinum Boarder
They do look like very nice places for most model car requirements but as you are a specific model builder, I can understand them not fully being able to supply you with what you wanted. Wish we had some retail outlets like that near me in the UK.

Rollerman.

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #13

Platinum Boarder
A taste of paradise.

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #14

Platinum Boarder

A quick Video on the Fiat 500 Vignale Gamine. Looks like a great little city car.

Interesting story about the shops and I have only seen a couple like that here in BC, all down at the coast over 6 hours drive away. Not a Saturday jaunt like you did. Would be nice to have one like this in the Okanagan. They are so large too. Nice to see and thanks for showing.
There are more video's on this little Fiat if you watch.
The 1968 fiat 500 spyder vignale in motion is interesting.

Re: Today at Model Plaza and Toms 2 weeks, 5 days ago #15

Jim there is no link to show the video
  • Page: