Love this site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Love this site

Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I don't know what to call this thread so this will do.</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have been trying lately to catalogue my collection. I dug out an old program call Village Tracker for Diecast which is exactly what it is and does. Only problem is that none of the features work anymore. NO graphs, reports, lists or selections of item say most expensive or rarest. Put 20 toys into it and then found out it was not working any more and the web site is still there and you can buy it from them but no support and no up dates. I paid about $25 for my copy with registration number and that still works. the program does not so I am looking for another one.
Any ideas or suggestions???

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I rant, as you know I can. Anyway I am going through my collection and getting it all in order. I have gone back to what I had as a kid and started with them but really I am more interested in about 2005 an onward. I started restoring in 2005 and I met a guy who bought a Dinky 157 XK 120 Jag off me and asked how long I had been restoring. I told him I was just selling my old toys and that this Jag did not sell so I took the tires off and put paint stripper all over the body. That removed the dark brown house paint and did not touch the base plate as I never coated it. Any way his name is Jeff Meirow and his call name was Toyscout. If any of you here remember or were members of Gary's Diecast Drive inn. (there I go, bringing that up again, eh Kees?) he was a member there. Talked me into joining and the rest is history. That is how I got into this in the first place and have been at it ever since.
So back to the story about putting my toys together in some sort of coherent order in a data base. I have discovered from my files that I am missing pictures of toys from my collection. Th
This is where the title of this tread comes in. I went to my setting then preferences from my avatar log in. I then can get to forum search. I used that with the names of the cars I was missing, like Dinky 157 Jaguar XK 102 and there it was with all the restore pictures. I had lost all of the pictures in a crash years ago as they were open and I was working on editing them and they were lost. Lots of toys I have found here and I love it.
Love this site!!!

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I have to find this car yet.
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>All the above I was trying to catalogue and could not find the file pictures. I am glad I posted them here. I will be finding more I am sure. Hoe you enjoy this blast from over 7 and a half years ago.</p>
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Nobleco.

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #5

you could always save the pics on an USB stick to be sure

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
After the last crash I had to buy a new computer. I also bought an external hard drive. Just plug it into the USB port and you have another drive. Just for storage and every other month I do a major back up and take the last one off the drive. I don't have to as the drive is 2 terra bytes large. That is huge and I have yet to use a quarter of it for a few back ups. I have less that 50 megabytes on that internal drive and I now have a digital drive which makes no noise at all. I did not know my computer could be so quiet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, and others, I am not active here the past weeks. The excuse is not the world virus, but several other things are taking my time. Preparing the garden, as I will get a lot of nw soil at the end of the week. The new car still has a lot of mysteries, and all the time, NOT when I am actually driving, which I rarely do these days, but reading the accompanying books (Owners guide), I tell this to my Dutch Mustang forum, which takes time. Then, as I am a member of our Historic movement, we are planning a big exposition in September, which is a lot of work. Oh, and our two young cats are now lead outside on a leash first, without in a week or so.</p>

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>So I just read your report about your program breaking donw and such.</p>
<p>We only had a day when you were here visiting, and we never got round to talking how I store and catalogue my collection. So here my part.</p>
<p>Whenever I restore a model, I make pictures pf that model, which I store in a map on my computer. Each map has a number first, and then the name of the model. The map of a model which is finished  has a number and the name only. Models which are not finished have a line of dots (.......) next to the name.</p>

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Models in maps which are finished are now and then placed on my external hard drive.</p>
<p>On my hard drive there are now 578 maps with finished models or groups of the same  models in different colours.</p>
<p>Besides the finished models I also have a map with templates of boxes.</p>

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>So templates and finished models are in one big Corgi-map (as most of my collection and resto's are Corgi). Everytime I change something in that big map, I will change the date. So the map is called: '1 Corgi Toys 22200318'  if I would have changed anything today.</p>
<p>I add '1' so I can quickly see the Corgi map is one of the first ones in my list of maps.</p>
<p>The date is: year first, than month, than day.</p>

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
<p>Whatever I do, I always try to get a back up of things, so on computer and on external hard drive. And, of course, the models I finished are also in the Albelli books I made. There are four books up till now, the last on was in 2017. About 2/3 of my next book is ready.</p>
<p>Because I change things in my big map sometimes every day, I made it a habbit to renew my big map in my back-up  NOT every day, but I think once every 2 months.</p>
<p>Next post I will explain how I store things in an Excel file.</p>
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Keesie.

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
When you use the word Map I think that is the same as what I call a Folder. Inside my folders as pictures of the model as I received it. There are also all the restoration pictures which sometimes can make it up to 100 pictures but mostly only about 25 or so covers most restorations. The last think in the folder is my work order that lists the toy, who it belongs to and when I started and ended the restoration. All have information stored in each picture which will tell me the make and model of the camera used, the settings it had and what the date and time was when the picture was taken. As I usually take pictures of any new purchases with in a couple days I use that date as the purchase data when I don't have it written down on the card I attach to each toy.
I am now going through all my work orders (there are hundreds) and taking out all my own models and numbering them to match up with each toy which will now have a number. I started back in 2008 as that is my earliest restoration I recorded and I am now up to about Feb of 2013. Been at it for a couple days so it goes quickly until I can't fine the pictures or folder I want. That is where This site comes in and also Photo Bucket. Even though I deleted all my photos from there, the back up they have replaced them all as I did not delete my account. So I can now use that as a back up as well. Lots of work but one day I won't be here and some one has to know what went into them.

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The first photo is just part of my main folder that holds all my restoration for customers and myself and any others I have done fro friends etc.
there are currently 624 folders or models I have restored since 2008

The next picture is an example of a Dinky 24Y Studebaker Commander starting with as received and following through the pictures of the complete build. I used to put this on a CD for my customer and send it along with the toys I did for them. Some times I would get 20 models at one time from a customer and I would put them all on one CD.

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #14

The way I file my restos, is in a folder with the name of the customer. Than every model in that folder has the model name and the photos as an attachment. So very similar to the way Kees and Jim do it.

Re: Love this site 3 months, 2 weeks ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I use excel spreadsheet. As many columns as I need for a different variable (maker, series, model no., model name, colour, description, date made, date acquired, cost, currency, conversion, postage, seller, seller's contact, condition notes, repairs required, repairs done, parts needed, parts replaced, etc, etc,) I take a few pics of every model have and organize them into folders on my computer by make and model number. Each spreadsheet entry has a link to the model's photo so I can just click the link in the spreadsheet and the photo pops up. I keep the spreadsheet and photos on my computer and back ups on external drives.
With a spreadsheet I can sort or search by any of the variables.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
  • Page: