Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!

TOPIC: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations

Re: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations 2 years, 5 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
The text translated: when Kees Degeling (61) takes off on his Penny Farthing, everyone in his street knows he will go to school. In style, including a big moustache, he dresses like a school teacher, to entertain the visitors. Risky, because riding this bike is not without danger. I had to practice to get on and off, saw on Youtube how to do it, and there are no brakes. You have to jump off to the rear to stop. Luckily I have never fallen off so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations 2 years, 5 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Great to see this Kees. I do remember the school and our bike ride there and back. That bike if fantastic and to see it was great. It is a nice restoration in itself.

Re: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations 2 years, 5 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Great to see the article and you being featured Kees! Something certainly I haven't tried, riding a Penny Farthing, I take my hat off to you!

Re: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations 2 years, 5 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, Mark, I hope you mean a HIGH hat........! Indeed it is very exciting to ride such a bike, but you reallly have to concentrate, because it is not like a low normal pushbike. Nowaydays we have inner and outer cables with woven steel wire inside, but back then there was nothing like that. So at first, around 1870, the bikes did not have any brakes at all, like mine. Later, around 1880, the front wheel had a 'spoon-brake', as we say.  A handgrip on the steering was lead to the wheel with moving levers. As the distance to the rear wheel was too much, there was no rear brake. Because of this, using the brake on the front wheel, this caused accidents: the rider fell OVER the front wheel. That is why the British say: 'taking a header' !

This evening I got into contact with a lady who owns a bed & breakfast near the school. The idea is that I will tell the story to the guests if they like, so let the spring start, and the tourists come in!
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations 2 years, 5 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
and sign autographs

Re: Keesie a star of the March issue of Collectors Gazette....Congratulations 2 years, 5 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
Good one Tick!