2017 dinky toys restorations
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!

TOPIC: 2017 dinky toys restorations

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
Is this what you did on the Dinky Delivery Van. My old one has a bit of rubber tube inserted between the hubs to keep the wheels separated. Anyway this is a way to make a fine wisher then with a dab of super glue and job is done.

Anyway I was doing a different job, making the spare wheel axle on this Land Rover stretch job by using the rivet and a cut off washer retainer made for the inside of the body with a dash of super glue just incase.

Cheers.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by GunnerJim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Another method for this James is to use an old axle from a Dinky or Corgi toy. I break some every now and then due to the rust of a thin end on a crimped axle. Sometimes they just snap off when trying to flatten the other end. Have to hold one end with flat jaw pliers so the axle does not spin when applying pressure to the end your trying to de crimp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dinky-shane-corgi

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Yes Jim that does happen too and thanks for this added information on axles.

Cheers.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by GunnerJim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, dinky-shane-corgi

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #34

Fresh Boarder
Quick thanks to Nobleco for my replacement windshield and tires for the jeep. I used tamyia OD-2 paint as a pretty good match to the Dinky jeep. I scuff it up after to add patina so it looks like the rest of the toy. 

Question: has anyone collected a suggested paint colour that matches oem dinky olive drab or red etc? Is there a better match then the Tamyia spray?

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by jeeptoys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Ask Jim sells it. Nobleco

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
I have run out of the Dinky Military Green. I have been looking for a replacement and it looks like and acrylic paint from Dollar stores and hobby shops and craft shops like Michael's has some that may work. They are a water based paint. Thin and clean up with water.

I do have a few paints on my store but not the military colors. Here is a picture of the Hunter Green I bought a while ago for a job. They are in the $2.00 range for price if I remember right. Readily available in most dollar stores.

Craftsmart brand. Website is michaels.com so I am sure you can order it or maybe only find a location near you. I have not been there.

Directions say:
All purpose, water-based, fast drying. Intermixable. Ideal for general arts and crafts. Use on wood, paper mache, ceramic, terra cotta, Metal and more.. Non-toxic. Soap and water cleanup

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 5 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
jeeptoys wrote:
Quick thanks to Nobleco for my replacement windshield and tires for the jeep. I used tamyia OD-2 paint as a pretty good match to the Dinky jeep. I scuff it up after to add patina so it looks like the rest of the toy.

Looks like you have done a good job of matching the color and as you have found out, these are not hard to replace. Glad it worked out for you and the tires look good too.

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #38

Gold Boarder
another two dinky toys restored

154 hillman minx

163   bristol 450

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
Very nice work, the Minx always reminds me of my first day at school , my first teacher had a box of her son's toy cars & we used to play with them on a wooden road I remember there was brown Minx , a couple of Corgi Bedford CA ambulances & the large Dinky Dumper truck.

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #40

Platinum Boarder
Nice work on the restorations. I have to get the Bristol 450 for my collection. Sold mine years ago. Yours looks like new now after your attention to it.

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #41

Platinum Boarder
Very nice work, the Bristol looks great!

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #42

Gold Boarder
took me ages to get the bristol 450 and found this one the ebay for 4.99 and i was the only one bidding

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
Wow, great price and the only one bidding does not happen too often. I hope I find the same results when I go looking. Have a few more projects I am working on to do first though. It is a great car and I remember playing with mine all the time. The fins on the rear were both bent and there was not much paint and no tires on it when I found it back in 2000 after clearing out my Grandmothers home. My Mom had them for the grand kids who were all in their late teens by then.

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #44

Gold Boarder
i bet your glad she never bin them

Re: 2017 dinky toys restorations 3 years, 4 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
Yes, I am but I know my Mom would never do. She would ask me first.