Model Vehicle Photography
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!

TOPIC: Model Vehicle Photography

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #151

Platinum Boarder
Hi Jan
Sent a PM to you on the 29/08/2017 have you received it?

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #152

Platinum Boarder
Lovely book and shows your collection, or at least some of the highlights, in a pleasing pictorial view of your toys. Will make a great coffee table book and generate many a conversation, I am sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #153

Platinum Boarder
Hi Jan, thank's for the explanation. We will allow you to have that 'Sin'...

Rollerman.

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #154

Platinum Boarder
Looks a fabulously produced book!!

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #155

Platinum Boarder
Thank you. I am still both astonished and impressed by the result too ...

Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #156

Platinum Boarder
You told me about this book your were doing and surely it is a masterpiece.

Making such books is like giving an extra dimension to your hobby whatever that hobby may be.

The way I see it: if a book is not available in the bookshops and you want to have something on paper which compiles your interest and tells the story of the subject matter, the best way to go forward is to make your own (photo)book.

Recently I finished a book on James Young Rolls Royce history (not available in the shops)

Tomorrow postman Pat will deliver my latest work on the earliest Fender electric guitars, a book which took me 5 years to finish, and I am sure that it will need a complete revision in another 5 years as info keeps on getting to the surface.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, janwerner

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #157

Platinum Boarder
Great books Gerrit.

What stops them from being available in shops. Financial, legal or exclusivity reasons.

I would certainly buy the Rolls-Royce edition.

Rollerman.

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #158

Platinum Boarder
I agree with Kevin, fabulous books, all. I would think the Fender Book would sell well, specially in England and the USA. Too many great guitar players use that guitar and there are many followers that would love to own it. Are there problems with doing that?

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #159

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
I agree with Kevin, fabulous books, all. I would think the Fender Book would sell well, specially in England and the USA. Too many great guitar players use that guitar and there are many followers that would love to own it. Are there problems with doing that?

Thanks Kevin and Jim.

The main reason for not bringing these books to the public domain is copyright matters. To have books like these done without any legal constraints I must have consent of using somebody else's photography but also the co-operation of car owners (in the case of the Rolls Royce book). As certain people do not like their possessions being displayed for everyone to see. These are their own crown jewels.

That would take an enormous amount of time and will cost a lot of money, while there is no guarantee that some publisher will accept my book as a viable undertaking to put it on the market to begin with.

Anyway I never intended to publish these books in the first place. For me it is a dedicated compilation of pictures, text and information which makes it easy for me to address a specific subject. Otherwise I need to consult 10 or 20 different books with all kinds of scattered information before I get where I want to be. There are many books on Rolls Royce and Fender guitars (I have loads of them) but none which I know of have addressed the subject the way I did. So these are my books.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #160

Platinum Boarder
Again great looking books, would a professional publisher not be able to help with regards legal terms in what can be printed.

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #161

Platinum Boarder
Andy66 wrote:
Again great looking books, would a professional publisher not be able to help with regards legal terms in what can be printed.

I am sure they could help me, but like I said before it was never my intention to go public.

Better get back on topic of Model Car Photography.

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #162

Platinum Boarder
This picture was taken with a reasonably decent Sony digital compact Camera. No fancy settings, but it was mounted on a tripod.

Natural Daylight and Camera set to Auto exposure and White balance.

So once you know what your Camera can do, it can provide some pretty good results.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: janwerner

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #163

Platinum Boarder
The white balance back ground really makes the vehicle stand out.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #164

Platinum Boarder
Nice picture Rollerman and model

How true, about knowing your camera. I have a million settings camera that amazed me once I started playing with it. Whenever I post pics here its just using my cell phone but I really should start practicing with my nicer camera and learning all your tricks

Re: Model Vehicle Photography 2 years, 11 months ago #165

Platinum Boarder
One problem with taking pictures of model cars is getting too close with the Camera. My Matchbox Silver Ghost above was quite a long way from my Camera, a good couple of feet.

The reason for this is to ensure the Camera uses a wide Depth of Field setting for the lens. Depth of Field is the area of the subject that is in sharp focus from front to back which for model cars placed at an angle as in my picture above, is important so all or as much as possible of the model is in focus.

If the model was placed parallel to the Camera lens, the Depth of Field is not so important as only about 2 inches or so have to be in focus, so the model could be placed much nearer the lens and whatever setting is chosen, is very likely going to produce a sharply focused picture, but then it only becomes a reference picture because you can only see one side of the model!

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tick