What are your best bargains and worst mistakes?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are your best bargains and worst mistakes?

What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 13 years, 1 month ago #1

Administrator
What\'s the best bargain you ever had (either something you wanted for yourself, or something you bought super-cheap and made a massive profit on)? And what is the worst?

My best has to be a lot of five Corgi Juniors I bought on eBay at a buy-it-now price of £4.99. One of them was the Corgi Whizzwheels non-Rocket Ford Capri from the Wall of Death Gift Set (only sold in the summer of 1970 at Woolworths, so super-rare). It was in great shape, with all the decals. Not one I particularly wanted for myself, so I re-sold it for £95 within the week.

As for stuff I bought to keep, there\'s a few great finds; someone in the US found some old-stock Politoys cars mint-in-the-perfect-boxes, and made the mistake of listing several models the same at the same time. I got an identical pair of Alfa Giulia Sedans for about £70 the pair, then sold one of them for £125 and kept the other.

As for the worst, that has to be what I thought was a large-scale vintage tinplate model racing car - paid £20 for it, plus £10 P&P, only to find that it was one of those modern things they sell as ornaments at garden centres and in furniture shops! It cluttered up the house for months until I finally got rid of it for about £5!

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 13 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
My best buy is actually a few best buys. There is the one with the Corgi Impala (yellow Taxi), Ford Fordor, Corgi TR3 and two matchbox toys. One Alvis Stalwart and the BP Tanker Paid £0.01 for them on Ebay and he dinged me £8.00 for £3.89 shipping costs. I still got the better deal. Another on are the Smith\'s Karrier Vans by corgi. I buy Mr Softee Vans and turn them into Mr Whippy Vans. The best I have done so far on three vans is two Mr Softees for over $70.00 each and one Mr Whippy that went for $255.00. All were bought for under $30 each. I have four on the go and 6 waiting in the wings and one more on the way. I also lucked into an Army Canteen Karrier Van for AU$25.63. Don\'t see many of them out there.
To the worst purchase, my Fab One Lady Penelopy Car. Bad, Bad shape and needs almost every part. It was about 2 years ago and I think I paid about $8.00 for it but it is going to cost over $50 just for the parts. Plus shipping and then the work. It just sits.
I also have a flat deck truck I bought a couple of years ago, in good shape but I thought it was a dinky. It turned out to be a duplo dinky and much smaller than I thought. Also an Austin Taxi that I though again was 1/43 but is more like 1/64. I think it is a Budgie #13. Again much smaller than let on to in the ad. I was disappointed in both of them when I received them but they have grown on me since.
The picture is of my latest accusition and there are two near mint to mint road signs coming with them  $108.00 including shipping.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 13 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The Foden Wagon and the Farm Truck are both in Excellent shape and I think I can recover my costs on those two alone. I am thinking of keeping the Foden though. I have other farm trucks. The Jeep and Trailer I do not have and will keep. The caravan will be matched up with something. Maybe the Stud. The Smart Helecs is in too nice a shape to do anything but redecal and I may add that to my collection to. I have another so will have to compare when they get here. I will restore the VW Bug and the Nash Rambler and the other flat deck truck and the Studebaker.

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 13 years, 1 month ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Best buys I would have way to many to list as I have collected since the 1970\'s when items could be purchased for next to nothing.
A far more recent item i got was a matchbox G1 Service Station Set which was still factory shrinkwrapped.
Got it on a buy it now for $110US.

Worst buys which i have had quite a few.
Most recent was a dinky 689 medium artillery tractor which was shown as mint boxed. Price was $120US on a buy it now
Model arrives and it had quite a few large paint chips on it.
Proper value more like £35

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #5

Expert Boarder
  I also can think of numerous great bargains I have had over the years.  This one tops the list!

I am an audio-visual engineer by profession.  As such I do quite a bit of contract work installing and operating A/V equipment at trade shows, expositions, and conventions.  In November 1989,  I was working something called \"The Premium Incentive Show\" at the Javits Convention Center in NYC.  where all the items you save boxtops, UPC labels, bottle caps for are for sale.  On the first day of the show, while cruising the aisles during a meal break,  I came across a booth for LLEDO DAYS GONE and was simply astounded by the number and diversity of the models on display.  Rare european promos. rare australian promos, rare airport sets, unpainted prototype models, and all the available variations of their current product lines.  Over 200 models all neatly displayed in vacu-formed plastic hanging trays with clear plastic dust covers.  On the first day I was given a promotional van specially run for this show.   

I chatted up the two people who were manning the booth that turned out to be Mr. Jack Odell (one of the original founders of Lesney/Matchbox) and the founder of LLEDO (Odell spelled backwards) and his lovely daughter.    For the remaining run of the show I made a point of stopping by their booth at least once a day for a chin wag. On the last day of the show, as I approached their booth to say goodbye, I was offered the opportunity of a lifetime.  Mr. Odell graciously offered to sell me the entire lot for $1.00 per model,  all display cases included.  He said He would rather sell them to a friendly collector then go thru the hassle of packing them up again and shipping them back to England.  Needless to say I set a land speed record running round trip to the ATM.  What a score!  I thought I had died and gone to diecast heaven.  I wish I still had them!

At the same show I also acquired a few Solido Models from the american importer, A great looking Winross T/T decorated for the sponsor, Graebel Van Lines, and two hand decorated one off Corgis from someone who specializes in code three promos.  All that and a nice paycheck for five days work to boot!

Okay this is one that got away.  A beautiful special commision truck set from a large corporation.  Battled for days on Ebay but finally succumbed when I reached my set limit for this auction.  Well you know what they say in the SAS.  \"He who dares Wins\".   Limited edition I would think.

The water heaters on the pallets in the rear are cold resin castings, So is the pallet load of radiators which is for the cargo bed of the pick up truck.

Bruce

Trains.jpg

Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by Diecastduck.

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Here is another purchase from the same guy Matchbox this time and one I had as a kid. The transporter. Still don\'t know if I sold it or lost it in a move. It is the four little die cast car I wonder about. No marks but a backwards 5 in one and 6 in two of the others. I will post about that in another thread I have going. Here They are, photo taken by seller.
The Matchbox Fairlane has been over painted and I am going to try to remove it with vinegar. Works wonders on Dinky tin base plates. Leave over night and all paint will lift off. Rust of any kind will literally fall off when you soak it in vinegar. Try it, I think you will like it. When you try it and it works for you just send $1.00 to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it via pay pal. LOL
Have fun restoring. Tip of the day courtesy of Diecast Toyguy.

Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #7

Expert Boarder
I wouldnt swear to it without further research, but it looks to me like those four tiny cars are from an american manufacturer called Barclay.  If you are in the UK they probably came from a local Woolworth 5+10.  That\'s where they were available where I lived here on Brooklyn, NY.  They came with a small car carrier that comprised a red painted die cast cab and a pressed tinplate trailer.  will try to find some pics to verify

Bruce

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
That would be great if you could find some pictures as I have been having a time of it trying to identify them. Barclay you say. Hmmm. I will have to take a look on the net and see what I can find. JN

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Diecastduck...Thanks for the Barclay tip. I did a search on ebay and I found a group of 15 Barclay cars up for auction and they look just like the ones I bought recently. Here is a pictures of the cars I found. 
Thanks again for your help. Jim
Barclay_Toys_Cars.JPG

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #10

Expert Boarder
More pics of Barclay Toys.  The first five i found on Ebay.

This is a pic of my current selection of Barclay Toys

Another view of my Barclays.  The bottom row of tankers are Budgies.

Bruce

Re:What are your best bargains and worst mistakes? 12 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Bruce: Thank you so much for all this information. I have already bumped your Karma on this thread or I would do it now. I see from writing on one of the boxes 1949, is that the year they were made? Also from the prices of 19¢ and 29¢ each I would say they are from the 50\'s for sure. Do you know? Jim

• Page: