Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette

Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 10 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Top Gear was a Tri-ang brand that emerged in the late \'60\'s as a competitior to Mattel\'s \'Hot Wheels\' and Matchbox\'s \'Superfast\' ranges. This model is based on an earlier model that was part of a Tri-ang range that were branded \'Mini-Dinky\'s\'. Neither ranges were successful and Tri-ang folded in 1971. Their empire being broken up and in most cases re-branded. However, these model cars have to the best of my knowledge not seen production since. Scale of this Corvette is 1:66th scale.

Finding obsolete models like this one is part of the fun in this small scale.
Cheers Chris

Re:Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 10 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Good find and box is great to have too. The vehicle\'s wheels look realistic compared to the standard Hot Wheels and Matchbox as the picture depicts such fine acid type wheels.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>Unfortunately, someone from this Forum has used my images posted above for this article:</p>
<p><a href="dtcawebsite.com/forum-topic/mini-dinky&q...mini-dinky</a> This is part of the Dinky Toys Collectors’ Association website and they have done so without my permission and not even acknowledging who or where they obtained them from.</p>
<p>Just like to say that all my images posted here and elsewhere are copyright. So if you want to use them - do the decent thing and ask! BTW I did contact the DTCA but no surprise that they didn’t reply!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong style="color: #878787; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-variant-ligatures: normal; orphans: 2; widows: 2;"> </strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #4

That is a very nice Corvette. The hubs do much justice to it than the fantasy ones now being used.
The box says no. 112. Does that mean there are 111 others made before this one?

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>Chris,</p>
<p>This must be an error, I have asked the collector who used your photos to add an aknowledgement to his post. He is a very nice guy and certainly did not mean anything bad.</p>
<p>It's great to find such a mint boxed model, it is excellent and your photos are very good.</p>
<p>Kind regards.</p>
<p>Jacques</p>
Last Edit: 5 months ago by dinkycollect.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>RoutemasterNL wrote:
That is a very nice Corvette. The hubs do much justice to it than the fantasy ones now being used. The box says no. 112. Does that mean there are 111 others made before this one?
</p>
<p>Unfortunately, not as there were only around five different models in the Tri-ang Top Gear series. 111 is an ‘E’ Type Jaguar and 113 is a Ferrari 250LM. The other two are a Ford Thunderbird and an Oldsmobile Toronado to which I don’t know their numbers.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>dinkycollect wrote:
</p>
<p>Chris,</p>
<p>This must be an error, I have asked the collector who used your photos to add an aknowledgement to his post. He is a very nice guy and certainly did not mean anything bad.</p>
<p>It's great to find such a mint boxed model, it is excellent and your photos are very good.</p>
<p>Kind regards.</p>
<p>Jacques</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Thanks Jacques for your reply b<span style="font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; color: #444444;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">ut this isn’t an error it is a fact. In this case the photos used have a clearly identified originator and before using them I should have been contacted. Also it wasn’t good practice that the DTCA Webmaster decided to ignore my e-mail when I raised this issue! Hopefully all will be sorted and due acknowledgement is noted in the post by 19th June 2020.</span></span></p>
<p><span style="font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; color: #444444;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Chris</span></span></p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Chris, when I click on your link this is what I see.

It may be because I am not a member.

Rollerman.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I meant an error from the DTCA collector who missed to acknowledge your excellent photos. I fully understand your point, I often find some of my pictures where they should not be but as long as people do not use many of my pictures, I do not mind.

All the best.

Jacques

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Chris,

I have just received this email

Jacques,

I apologize for causing Chris Sweetman such offense regarding the Top Gear Corvette pictures. This model must be extremely rare, hence his special interest. The original post did link to the Swifty's Garage sources but not to his Planet Diecast post, and I have now corrected that to give credit. (I had to learn how to edit an existing post, which I did not know before.)

I am not a member of the Planet Diecast site so I cannot apologize to him "in person." Of course if he would like the Corvette pictures removed entirely from the DTCA website we can do that too.

And this is what has been added to the DTCA thread about the Mini Dinky :

Here is a drawing for the Thunderbird, and a pre-production Camaro model. Both images taken from the Swifty's Garage website, which offers additional Mini Dinky information.

Regards,

Jonathan

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #11

Junior Boarder
<p>Chris and Jacques,</p>
<p>Turns out I do have a login here -- I just haven't used it for seven years!</p>
<p>Actually this is what I added to the post on the DTCA site:</p>
<p><em>After the Mini Dinky experiment, Tri-ang used some of the tooling for a short-lived range called Top Gear (which Peter also noted in his article). Here are pictures of the former Mini Dinky Corvette, courtesy of Chris Sweetman, who<a class="ext" href="index.php?option=com_kunena&amp;func=view&amp;catid=60&amp;id=9859&amp;Itemid=2455#396536" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"> posted them on the Planet Diecast site<span class="ext"> </span></a>.</em></p>
<p>If this is not sufficient or you want the photos removed from the DTCA site, let me know.<em> </em></p>
<p>Meanwhile, do you have any more Top Gear models? You may recall a few years ago another collector selling off drawings and prototype parts that he had obtained from the estate of a Tri-ang designer. Late to the game, I was able to obtain only a Mini Dinky garage without printing on it, a Oldsmobile Toronado body, and a VW fastback base. All the rest of the stuff is scattered to the winds now, like too much other Dinky information ...</p>
<p>This is why Jacques works so hard to correlate Dinky-related information from wherever it comes. I admire that his interests encompass everything Dinky, as do mine. I guess our motto is "no Dinky is a bad Dinky," although we may make an exception for the Cinderella's Coach!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry that the editor here spewed so much formatting junk -- I don't know how to fix that!</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 5 months ago by johnnyangel.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
With all my Triang interests this is the first time I have seen this model.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>johnnyangel wrote:
</p>
<p>Chris and Jacques,</p>
<p>Turns out I do have a login here -- I just haven't used it for seven years!</p>
<p>Actually this is what I added to the post on the DTCA site:</p>
<p><em>After the Mini Dinky experiment, Tri-ang used some of the tooling for a short-lived range called Top Gear (which Peter also noted in his article). Here are pictures of the former Mini Dinky Corvette, courtesy of Chris Sweetman, who<a class="ext" href="index.php?option=com_kunena&amp;func=view&amp;catid=60&amp;id=9859&amp;Itemid=2455#396536" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer"> posted them on the Planet Diecast site<span class="ext"> </span></a>.</em></p>
<p>If this is not sufficient or you want the photos removed from the DTCA site, let me know.<em> </em></p>
<p>Meanwhile, do you have any more Top Gear models? You may recall a few years ago another collector selling off drawings and prototype parts that he had obtained from the estate of a Tri-ang designer. Late to the game, I was able to obtain only a Mini Dinky garage without printing on it, a Oldsmobile Toronado body, and a VW fastback base. All the rest of the stuff is scattered to the winds now, like too much other Dinky information ...</p>
<p>This is why Jacques works so hard to correlate Dinky-related information from wherever it comes. I admire that his interests encompass everything Dinky, as do mine. I guess our motto is "no Dinky is a bad Dinky," although we may make an exception for the Cinderella's Coach!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry that the editor here spewed so much formatting junk -- I don't know how to fix that!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Hi Jonathan</p>
<p>This is fine - thanks. The only other Tri-ang Top Gear model I have is the Ferrari 250LM but it isn’t in the same condition as the Corvette as it has rubs on the roof and sides. However, I do have the box to go with the Ferrari. Around 15 years ago I did have the opportunity to purchase an un-boxed Ford Thunderbird but didn’t go ahead.</p>
<p>It is important that the Corvette images remain in your DTCA post as it may lead to other collectors coming forward with additional information regarding Tri-ang’s short lived Top Gear range.</p>
<p>Chris</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #14

Junior Boarder
<p>Chris -- Thanks! Let's hope indeed that other collectors surface with information on Top Gear models. This range seems colossally rare, and I think I read somewhere -- was it a post by you? -- that for whatever reason it was mostly sold in Japan!</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>johnnyangel wrote:
</p>
<p>Chris -- Thanks! Let's hope indeed that other collectors surface with information on Top Gear models. This range seems colossally rare, and I think I read somewhere -- was it a post by you? -- that for whatever reason it was mostly sold in Japan!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Hi Jonathan</p>
<p>Not sure I posted that information but whatever the source my findings based on purchases and would be purchases support this information. The Corvette and the Ferrari I bought were originally sourced from Japan and so was the Thunderbird I mentioned that I didn’t buy.</p>
<p>Looking at the DTCA Mini-Dinky post Mini-Dinky's were never officially available in the UK via authorised Tri-ang/Meccano outlets. However, when the Tri-ang empire went bust some lines were supplied through newsagents. I obtained a Mini-Dinky Corvette supplied in a garage at one such outlet and they had a stack of them in their window - this would be around 1972. Just round the corner I bought a couple of Spot-On models from another newsagent also around 1972.</p>
<p>Chris</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Chris</p>
  • Page: