Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck

Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This might be my best find of 2014, but it is my smallest find also!  Just a little variation in a well-known later Tekno from Denmark.

I just found a Tekno variation that I never knew existed. My friend and fellow collector, Skip, showed me his old Tekno with no brace for the cab. All mine had the brace so off to 'epay' I went. After months and months, I finally acquired one with a few chips.

Tekno made theirs in 1968-72 in Denmark; after going out of business, they sold the molds to Holland which made a few more versions in the 1970s and perhaps 80s. The Dutch had the brace so I assume Tekno added it after 1968, perhaps because too many kids were over-rotating the cab?

What great detail and number of parts for a toy truck! That's one reason I love old Teknos. Notice the newer version has the squared-off hole for the drivetrain to fit into.
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by karls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teebodk, RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for this observation - I had never noticed the different versions despite 'growing up' with this model. I can only remember it with the brace, and I just checked my two current ones (a short dump truck like the ones on your photos and a Falck wrecker) - both of them had the brace as well - they also both have black interior. Your new find has grey interior... and that interior casting itself is different from the black one: it doesn't have the small slit for the brace to go through.

I wonder if there's also a transition version: grey interior with slit and brace and/or black interior without slit and brace... but it's certainly something to look out for on future auctions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #3

That is a great find Karls. i never knew about the ones without the brace.
In my opinion the D800 is a fantastic casting and yes, there is a lot going on depending the casting.
Still a lot old "dutch" Tekno's availble here in NL

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
These FORD trucks were actually made by Kirk for Tekno so I have two grey interior KIRKs with brace.  One of them has a grey engine also, both on the long truck.  

My Tekno Tuborg truck has the grey interior also.  All these have the cab brace.

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I Looooooove Teknos, but often too much for my budget. 

I have this tipper as well and an older Falck flatbed rescue. I am now wondering if the older one has the brace or not. They are all packed up, but I have a feeling I wont be able to sleep until I know so I will most likely give in and start unpacking to find out. hahahahahahahaha

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hehe, I had to check all the ones on Qxl as well - problem is, most sellers don't include photos that answer that nagging question: brace or no brace! The few that did, all had the brace, but there were more grey interiors than I thought there'd be.

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
OK so I found the right box finally. Thanx Karls for giving me something to obsess over. I needed to know if I had the unique version you discovered. Hahahahahahah

I LOOOOOVE Tekno's but own only a few (or Kirk). Love the detail and the solid construction. Love the true to life steering too in some of their models!

Hate the prices.

I dont know much about them though as mentioned as
I dont have a lot of experience. Maybe you folks can help me out.

I have the Ford 800 in the Falck Flat Bed version with black interior and in the Tipper as well with grey interior. My tipper does not have the brace but the flat bed does. Simply going by weight and solidness, I assumed the flat bed to be the older version of the models yet it has the brace. The tipper feels "plastic-y" and therefore I assumed newer but has no brace.

Which one of these would be older, and can anyone tell me the approximate era of both of the them?

(Just for kicks I included my Dinky version of the Tipper)

Thanks!

Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by Tick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
So you also have the dump truck WITHOUT brace!  maybe its not too rare after all!!!  I just did not know it existed.

914 dump truck came out in 1968 and was pictured in their 1968/9 catalog.  The photo looks like it does not have the brace!  (now that I look closely at it!)  :-0

915 long open truck with rails was in the 1968 catalog also but only as a drawing.  It has a plastic bed.

917 lumber truck was in the Tekno 1971/2 catalog, using the long wheelbase.  Lumber was held by small plastic supports attached to the chassis

920 Falck flat-bed as well in the 71/72 catalog.

Kirk made these for Tekno so either name could be on the baseplate.

Kirk's 1-page catalog (1970?) pictures:

916 covered truck (915 with stakes replaced by plastic tarp cover)

918T Tuborg beer truck - ***the best one of the series*** 

918 - plain beer truck with no advertising

914 is pictured WITH brace!!!

That leaves the special release for IRMA grocery stores in DK.  Only through a special offer, with coupons or sending Kroner to Irma (not sure).  The truck came in a special blue IRMA box:

919 IRMA truck - soft vinyl tarp covered truck 'irma kaffe"

Then, Tekno and Kirk went out of business and Tekno Holland bought them out.  So the same FORD trucks could have Tekno Holland on their baseplates!  Perhaps from 1974-1980?  (More variations to hunt for!)

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Karls, thank you so much for all the details. Much appreciated!

I really did not know they were that old. I figured late 70's. As mentioned I assumed the tipper was newer as the plastic bed did not seem typical for that era like the Falck with it's solid diecast bed. Both models have Tekno Denmark on the bottom.

But the Falck being newer backs your theory that they added the brace as earlier versions without it were being over extended?????

As for our Tippers not being rare,let's agree they are. You did well finding one, and I simply lucked out without even noticing. Darn amateur Tekno collectors. hahahahahha
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by Tick.

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
It's those little things eh! It's what give us great joy with our hobby, and this Karl is a nice model and much better than the Dinky.

I have learnt something new again on this great site.

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The same Ford truck (made in Holland ) in the livery of the ANWB (Dutch AA) with trailer.

I have one with th same cabin but as a closed truck

Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by blackstone.

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Nice ANWB!  Tekno Holland used the same molds and made this flatbed, as well as the same Tuborg truck, a new Carlsberg truck similar to the Tuborg, and a Faxe Fad truck similar to the IRMA truck, and a tractor trailer TEKNO FREEZER.  Probably more versions as well.
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by karls.

Re: Tekno FORD D-800 dump truck 7 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I was looking at the Irma just last week - tempted, but in the end I resisted as it had a little more chips than I liked. Oh well, maybe later.
  • Page: