Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1

Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1 12 years ago #1

Expert Boarder

Not so much a new purchasee, more a succesful find rooting around the Loft today.

Forget I had this, but a welcome surprise when coming across it again. The a Pillars have sadly broken away from the roof making the whole model a bit loose and fragile, but as for paint loss not that bad considering

Not sure on age or rarity? 

S5021639.JPG
Last Edit: 12 years ago by ferrari30.

Re:Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1 12 years ago #2

Administrator
The windscreen pillars on these always seem to break there. This is the second version of this model. It was first issued in orange-red with a black plastic bonnet insert in 1971. It was planned as just a standard car in the Corgi range until Corgi realised that a very similar car appeared in that year\'s James Bond film, Diamonds Are Forever, so the first models were issued in boxes with hastily-applied labels reading \"As used by James Bond in Diamonds Are Forever\" and therefter in a box with this printed on.

A couple of years later, the model was simplified to make it cheaper to produce by eliminating the plastic clip-in bonnet moulding. Instead it got rally stickers and was now finished in green and white like yours. The later version isn\'t particularly rare or valuable although the Bond version is. It is a nice model of the \'71 Mach 1 though. I recently found an odd example - the Bond version in red with the later car\'s decals. You can see it here: www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...atid=126&id=6603

Re:Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1 12 years ago #3

Expert Boarder
Thanks for sharing your pictures, the Red version certainly puts mine to shame.

Good to find out something about this model after all this time and give it some history

Re:Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1 12 years ago #4

Administrator
Yours just needs a little TLC and a new coat of paint.

I have a green one too somewhere. I will see if I can find it & post a pic.

Re:Corgi WhizzWheels - Mustang Mach 1 12 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I drove a \'69 Mach One Mustang in 1969 for a while, all summer actually. New girl friend and daddy had bought her the car for her 19th birthday. She did not know how to get the most out of the car so I showed her. LOL. She was a wicked girl in a wicked car after that. It handled like a dream and the horse power to weight ratio, for the time, was fantastic.Standard Tranny, 650 4bbl carb, 427 Cu in motor, I think but might have been a 390.
  • Page: