Playart BMW damaged by craptastic eBay packaging BUT... rare Corgi Mercedes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Playart BMW damaged by craptastic eBay packaging BUT... rare Corgi Mercedes

Playart BMW damaged by craptastic eBay packaging BUT... rare Corgi Mercedes 12 years ago #1

Administrator
I am trying to decide how angry I am about this.

I recently bought a large lot of 1/64 cars on eBay because it had five VERY nice separate-hubcap Playarts in it. So, this morning I get my package and I can hear ominous clinking from within.

The seller had not wrapped the cars individually. They\'d just put a layer of padding in the bottom, followed by a layer of cars, followed by another layer of padding, followed by another layer of cars. Oh, and the box? Not too sturdy & coming apart. And bear in mind these had travelled to the UK ALL THE WAY FROM AMERICA!
With sinking heart, I opened them to find that while it could have been MUCH worse, there was indeed chipping & damage where there had been none before. Most of this lot were JL and Racing Champions, plenty of which were NASCAR models and hence not worth much. One or two of these got badly chipped, but of course, the one which got the brunt of the chipping had to be this one...

In case you\'re wondering, ALL the paint wear in the picture occurred during the journey. It was VNM before. 
Thankfully, the other Playarts survived more or less intact (they do need cleaning):

(The mark on the wing is dirt and will clean off)

The Fiat sustained a broken bumper end, but it was a clean break and glued back on easily.

Even after all this, I should be able to make all my money back off the models I don\'t want, but I\'m still really mad about the BMW because I\'ve been looking for a good one for AGES and all these had survived so nicely til now, without even having the bent axles that Playarts are notorious for - they ALL roll totally straight.

However, there was one bit of silver lining. A couple of cars were included that the seller had forgotten to mention in the listing or picture in the photos. Including this one:

Yep, it\'s the rare early Corgi Jrs Mercedes 280SL in silver with separate-tyre Husky type hubs.

So, as I say, I\'m still trying to figure out how annoyed I am and I do not know what is up with this recent rash of bad eBay packaging. I am coming up for (ulp) my 10th anniversary of eBaying and I\'ve never seen such a lot of bad packing until this last year.

Re:Playart BMW damaged by craptastic eBay packaging BUT... rare Corgi Mercedes 12 years ago #2

Platinum Boarder
My heart bleeds for your loss and yes it is annoying to see that the package has been traveling far and wide and ends in disaster. That the seller doesn\'t even bother to take that little bit of extra care in preparation of the items, even with a bit of news paper rapped around the items would have helped and sturdy boxing and rapping just in-case some clot in the mailing and distribution arena stands on the package. Oh my Taxi got squashed.

Re:Playart BMW damaged by craptastic eBay packaging BUT... rare Corgi Mercedes 12 years ago #3

Expert Boarder
Sellers who do not normally deal with toys are after some extra green, and perhaps they foolishly believe that the cars are headed straight for a child´s toybox!
Very nice selection of cars in less common colours!
I would not be angry with a bonus like the Merc thrown in for free , just a little disappointed......

Re:Playart BMW damaged by craptastic eBay packaging BUT... rare Corgi Mercedes 12 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
been a little over a year now since my Police Cortina arrived squashed.
Subsequently the rest of the cars that came later were much better packaged.
  • Page: