Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans

Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #1

Platinum Boarder
My newest van is the toydetective  re-issue from 2009 (Van Gend) and the older one is the Coke version from the UK in the 1980's perhaps. Anyone know if John Gay issued this one?  Both 1/43, made in Holland!

Chrysler purchased the Rootes Group in 1967 and then in the 1970s changed these Commers into Dodges.  I don't think Lion Car ever changed though.

Here is a real one: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/1492231250_8a0824cb90.jpg or http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/7260632466_31d4637c37_z.jpg.

Next step is to find an "original" Lion Car from 1970 when they were first introduced.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by karls.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #2

I have one of these here in British Caledonian livery.. an Airline in the 70's and 80's In good condition with its box....

Niall

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #3

Platinum Boarder
They both look like reissues, Jim purchased a couple of these maybe he can help to compare them maybe.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I have the Van Gend & Loos reissue and what I believe to be an original in KLM-livery, but I really can't tell the difference and as it's unboxed, it too could be a reissue as well.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I knew I read it somewhere.  The Lion Car 1956-1981 book says that the Van Gend (white roof or not), Posterijen (2 versions) and a rare Technische Unie in green were made.  Because they were typically British,  John Gay ordered plain yellow, green, white and blue ones.  I would say red also.  This was 1981 or earlier, so the John Gay are Code 2(?)  - maybe the Coke, Caledonian, KLM are all John Gay produced in the 1970s?

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A 2nd reference:  Model Auto Review, No 3, Winter 1982, says the 1962 Commer was recently discontinued!  But plain red ones were made at the end for promotional purposes for other companies - fire trucks, etc.  The 'BCal' (see above) was recently made by Veteran and Vintage Models of Brighton.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by karls.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I recently bought two of the Commer walk thru vans, from Toy Detective.

Comer Van Gend & Loos and the British Rail Parcel Delivery service 1.5 ton

This one is number 220 of 250

This one is number 124 of 250

Both came mint in box.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Small world - so did I!  Here is the older Commer (original + re-issue):

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Really small world, cause so did I!

My British Railways is number 235 and my van Gend & Loos is number 133.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #10

My understanding is that the Caledonian is from the 80's, I bought it second hand at a toy fair in Dublin in the late 80's with its box, I understood it was a code 2, may indeed be a John Gay...The box is original no makers name just a line drawing of the contents...and it may have been sold or given out free by the airline... at the time

Niall
Last Edit: 9 years ago by Dublin6.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #11

Platinum Boarder
We really need some good close-ups of a confirmed original model. Maybe there are no visible differences at all, but if there is, the baseplate may be the clue.

It's a bit silly, actually, if it's impossible to tell what's original and what's reissues. A bit like if Atlas didn't mark their Dinky reissues as such. It makes no difference for the enjoyment of the models, of course, but it opens a floodgate for possible fraud.

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #12

Teebodk

I think that is the issue, that in reality there is no difference between the originals from the 70's, the code 2's from the 80's and the recent reissues from of late...

Here are 2 photo's from Vectis, dosen't really help, confuses things more....

Niall

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #13

I have 1 Commer van made by Lion. I shall make a photo of the base and post it.

I am relatively sure that it is not an re-issue. The book that Karl mentions, I do have that one also and shall look into it.

regards: Sherlock RoutemasterNL

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #14

Sherlock we look forward to the results of your investigations....

Regards Niall

Re: Lion Car Commer Walk-Thru Vans 9 years ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I just love the pictures you come up with Niall. Great stuff and don't stop.
  • Page: