Matchbox Series 1-100
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Matchbox Series 1-100

Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #1

Expert Boarder

Working my through the current collection of Matchbox 1-100 series releases, it is becoming clear that certain models, in no particular order or variety are exceptionally hard to come by

Examples of which are as follows:

- Ford GT
- Citroen DS
- Mitsubishi L200
- Street Sweeper

I was thinking that the \'08 Prius was going to remain illusive, until i managed to pick this up in my local supermarket of all places recently.....

Is anyone aware of a ploy by Matchbox to keep certain models rarer than others, or if anyone can suggest the best places to look i would be very grateful

Hopefully I will be in a position soon to develop a members blog detailing the various models as i build up the collection and the colour variantions that have been available....... if anyone is interested?????

I am also actively developing my vintage collection of MBX too, so if anyone can pass on any pointers for the best ones to look out for, i will start displaying this collrection on the blog also

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I will never get used to Mattel-Matchbox 1/100 Series.  

For me the true Matchbox will always be the 75-series.  

Still... I collect what I can, but it won\'t be complete. And only the cars that look like everyday cars.

It appears that at least one thing remains a constant: the US market of cars are still different to the European market. Herein lies your rarity of cars.

I have a black DS, found earlier this year. Haven\'t seen the L200, chances are good that will come here. As for the Prius...
Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by RVREVO.

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hi, the 4 cars your having trouble locating are rather common in Florida, so it sounds like you need a holiday, lol. Ive just bought the 3rd colour variant of the Citroen DS which is now listed on here.  I mainly shop in walmart, but i find some have models that the walmart 5 miles away never have so its anyone\'s guess how there distrubuted.

If i can assist with info just let me know

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #4

Senior Boarder
Hi
I am not familiar with these models.  What scale are they? 

I checked on Ebay in Australia and they say 1:64 but the packs also read MBX metal.  Is this a different series?

I note they had a few Ford GT concept cars listed.  Is this different to the Ford GT mentioned as being difficult to get?  The idea of a trip to Florida sounds good.

I noticed there was a Matchbox Morgan Aeromax that looked good as well. 

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Diecastdesigns wrote:

Hi
I am not familiar with these models.  What scale are they? 

I checked on Ebay in Australia and they say 1:64 but the packs also read MBX metal.  Is this a different series?

I note they had a few Ford GT concept cars listed.  Is this different to the Ford GT mentioned as being difficult to get?  The idea of a trip to Florida sounds good.

I noticed there was a Matchbox Morgan Aeromax that looked good as well. 
A version of the Morgan Aeromax was at The Warehouse here in NZ. Funny thing about the Asian market is that they tend to mix and match the distribution by mixing the European market with the US market. For Example, the VW Type 181 that came out a couple of years ago (aka The Thing), was marketed here by the US nickname but locally no one here in NZ had heard of it. In Europe it would\'ve been known. The Mitsubishi L200 would easily be sold here, if I can find it... as its a ute that is driven here and in Oz for decades. I\'ve only seen three Hummer 2\'s here, and one was a stretched limo. There\'s one Humvee Ute here with a Red Bull can... same with the new BMW Mini. Speaking of Minis... saw the Minivan in various colours... and of course got one.

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #6

Expert Boarder
An update to my recent post with good news on succesful MBX purchases this week

I can report I have now acquired the following:

- Citroen DS (in Lime Green)
- Street Sweeper or Utlity as it is appears to called in the UK???
- Jaguar XK 120 SE
- \'64 Austin Mini Cooper S in Green & White (Have 2 actually as liked it so much!!!!)
- Land Rover Discovery in G4 Challenge livery, very nice indeed, shame not more painted features though!!!!

However the Mitsubishi L200 still remains illusive........, also got an Ambulance (model not yet confirmed) in the packaging for a Chevy Van??? i understand this is a good thing to find??????  

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Sometimes this can be a good thing but sometimes it means nothing. Martford, a member here who is very into Matchbox and Hot Wheels should be able to tell you. Send him a PM
Jim

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I love the Jag XK 120, one of my favorite castings, no matter who does it.

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I have forwarded this info to by friend and I will let you know what he says. Also, other members of that forum will comment too, I am sure. It is quite active most days.
Jim

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
This is what my friend said about your Ambulance in a different box.

Jim.............I believe they\'re included in the next and last two batches.Finding an Ambo now is RARE,in itself.EVERYONE\'S waiting for it.The error makes it a little higher in value.HW errors are worth more.A different breed of collectors.)
Hope this is of some help. Jim

ferrari30 wrote:

However the Mitsubishi L200 still remains illusive........, also got an Ambulance (model not yet confirmed) in the packaging for a Chevy Van??? i understand this is a good thing to find??????  

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #11

Expert Boarder
Jim,

Thanks for the info, pleased with my purchase even more now knowing it has some rarity to it.....

For continuity I enclose picture for review, however i still do not know what Ambulance Model this is as the current 1-100 series only lists the \'68 Cadillac Ambulance????..... and again this is also proving illusive....

S5021583.JPG

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Here is more info from by MB buddy.
Jim!!!! That\'s a DIFFERENT ambo from the current one.I\'ve never seen one of that style! Our current(two versions) is a Chevy nosed job.The ambo in question is last years Caddy hearse done as a high top!!! Still waiting for it.(
So could be rarer than you think. Hang on to it and see.

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Some of the talk generated by your request. Too bad I can\'t get more of them to join up here on TC and contribute. Still working on them though so here is what one of the others said. Also here is the toy for this year. This is on a regular Tall Card. You apparently have last years toy in a short blister for this year, if I understand correctly. Hope this helps.

Marty, you are definitely right there.  HW collectors go crazy for mispackaged  cars but us MB collectors don\'t really make a big deal about it and I don\'t  think it helps the value much if at all. 

I consider myself a pretty  savey MB collector and I try to collect each new mold or reworked mold car in  the year it comes out.  But even I don\'t get them all.  I missed a few last year  and the year before.  So far this year, I have more than half of them but have a  long ways to go.  The one practice of Mattel MB that drives me crazy is the act  of releasing new model cars in 2 colors the first year.  They don\'t do it for  all of them, but quite a few.  That ups the number of cars I have to buy,  because I try to get all of the variations for the first year they come  out.

Kit

S5021584.jpg

Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by Nobleco.

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
More from my buddy.

AU CONTRAIR,MON AMIS! Your ambo looks like a ROW (rest of world) version,not sold here in the US! Our last two were Chevy van type noses.The Caddy version isn\'t out yet.It WILL be HTF!
Marty

Re:Matchbox Series 1-100 12 years ago #15

Expert Boarder
Thanks for all the information

The Ford E-350 is available in the UK and seems be stocked in most places, it is my own collection.

The version as discussed that I have mis-packaged, to be honest it is the only one i have seen or found in the UK to date?

EBAY seems to be a good source of reference as it displays all models currently available from those that sell them from time to time, again this only seemed to be displayed once or twise, all from the US

Rarity does seem to be its advantage as well the packaging............   
  • Page: