Tonkin Peterbilt
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tonkin Peterbilt

Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #1

Just got this in todays mail, along with a set of trailers for my Tonkin 379 sleeper cab tractor. Fresh out of the molds is this 388 Peterbilt with Rackley 4 axle trailer. There are two axles side by side and two sets of two front to back. A common set up on the west coast of the U.S. The frame is a bit long for a heavy haul tractor, and I\'ll keep. The detail is amazing in 1.53 scale, and most 1.50 scale equipment will fit on the trailer deck.

There\'s a full write up on this in the reviews section.
The trailers I received today are a generic set of dry vans, 28ft in length with con gear to allow both trailers to be pulled at the same time. Roll up doors on the rear of each trailer, with screw down landing legs to pose trailers without the tractor or con gear attached.

Now to find room to display them....

Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I always thought the connecting gear was called a dolly

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I believe you are correct when it comes to the Queens English. Remember, Rob is in the USA and they talk different from you and I. In fact you and I talk different. And so do the English, Scottish, Irish, South African, Austrailians, etc and WE ALL SPEAK the SAME language. Go figure.

Last Edit: 12 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Boot/Trunk
Bonnet/Hood
Glove Box/Glove Compartment or Dash Compartment
Lorry/Truck
Artic/Semi
And the list goes on.
Anyone care to ad to this or should I start a thread of 50 different differences in the English (NA) language and the British Words meaning the same thing like above. Hmmm. Kippers anyone???

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I got to stop this.
I have noticed different pronunciations of the same word from Western Canada to just over the line in Washington State and more so in Oregon and California. Roof  sounds like Ruff. About sounds like A Boot. Thinks like that come to mind right now. There is another 50 of for ya. LOL  ::)) Three happy faces. LOL

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Its life Jim, not as we know it

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #7

You are both correct, the companies I drove for that pulled doubles, and triples referred to them as con-gear, a dolly was a two wheeled hand truck or, hand cart. The list goes on forever within the US trucking industry of different names for the same equipment. Before deregulation, when you had only a handful of national carries, each region had its own names for equipment used on their dedicated routes. With deregulation, the names stuck to their regions. No imagine the confusion in the early years of deregulation when a driver was told to grab that dolly and hook that set up, and the drive knew them as com gear...

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
yeah, I finally won one of those Lesney Major Pack Garrett truck and trailers separately. I asked the seller if they had the dolly as well. Fortunately I did not have to bid for one. She had separated everything for she was told it would fetch more that way.

Being British she knew that the dolly was that cart of wheels, fifth and hook.

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #9

I\'ve been looking at the Lesney myself, the price tag is a bit steep for me at the moment. They have a Hendrickson cab that is often mistaken for an International, understandable because they share many of the same parts.

Re:Tonkin Peterbilt 12 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I managed to get another truck with a red painted grille not so long ago. Now just looking for trailers and dollies.
  • Page: