Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
I have the Dinky Euclid Rear Dump Truck #965. I looks similar to yours but different. There is also a Terex Casting. What changes were made I don\'t know. My box winds up and down with a handle. It looks to me that the rear hubs are just on the opposite way from the front to give the depth look to the rear hubs. 
Here is a picture of the truck with a couple other toys. Part of what I got for doing the Dinky Car Transporter and Trailer.

Attachments:
  • What_I_Recv__d_for_the_job___4a.JPG What_I_Rec...__4a.JPG (146KB)
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 12 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Picture would not attach last time. Tried twice and lots the inage file attachment box. So here is the picture.
What_I_Recv__d_for_the_job___4a.JPG

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #18

That\'s the one that keeps popping up all over the auction site that I spend so much money on. I think it\'s much larger than these. I\'d like to see the Terex, you know about my obsession with the one up in your area.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
As I said in the email I sent you this is a made in Hong Kong Mini Dinky #97. Only produced for one year, 1968. Yellow only and came in a Plastic Garage Box for display. There were only 7 models in the Mini Dinky series and only 6 of them were produced. 70g-Avro Tudro was not made. 94 International Bulldozer, 95-International Skid Shovel, 96-Payloader Shovel, 97-Euclid R-40, 98-Michigan Scraper and 99- Caterpiller Grader. All made in Hong Kong in 1968 only but for the Avro Tudor.94, 95,97 & 98 are Yellow, 96 is White and 99 is orange. All came in a plastic Garage display box.

Last Edit: 12 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #20

Thanks for the info Jim. The Michigan scraper was in the same shop for 25.00 USD and I left it there. My dad worked for a hiway construction company in the early 60s and I got to sit in a Euclid 1lld on a jobsite. Ruined me for any other occupation aside from truck driver. to a very young boy, that thing was a monster and I was forever hooked!

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #21

OK, got the Mini Dinky Euclid in the mail, and finally got around to getting pics taken. The Dinky is yellow, and not as defined as the Mercury which is the proper Euclid green of the period. According to Euclid sales lit from 1963, the Euclid was 36ft 5 1/2 inches long, 13ft 5 inches tall, and 13ft 8 1/2 inches wide, and 29ft 8 inches tall when the dump body was raised. These are side by side shots of the Mercury on the left (with small decal) and the Dinky mini. Overall, the dimensions are the same, with the Mercury having sharper, more defined corners, and the Dinky having a hand painted silver grill, and plastic wheel hubs, the mercury has metal hubs. 
The Mercury only has the one decal (bottom) and sales lit from 1963 shows the decal as a black and white version of the one on this truck.
Last Edit: 12 years, 4 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Interesting that the decal on your truck is in color. Wonder if it was just the photo washed out in the ad and you can\'t see the red. Too bad about the broken hub on the Dinky. I don\'t know if I can get them or not. Not many parts available for Mini Dinky\'s.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #23

The broken hub is really not an issue, if it annoys too much, I can flip it around and the broken bit will be inside. The sales lit is a color enhanced black and white photo, and only the Euclid green was added. The logo on the box is most likely red, black and white, but was not color enhanced.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #24

Update: After sitting here staring at the bad hub, I decided to do the hub flip. Took all of five minutes to file the end of the axle, reverse the two wheels and reshape the axle end. Good as new! Thanks for planting the seed Jim! Sometimes all it takes is a gentle nudge, other times, the hammer...

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
No problem, Rob. It happens like that sometimes. Get an idea from a fellow member and you have to try it out. Like my fix for Dinky (and others) axles that have the crimp on the axle to hold the hubs in place. Works really well.
Jim

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #26

Is that in tips and tricks? I don\'t remember seeing that little bit of info.

Re:Mercury Euclid R 40 dump truck 12 years, 4 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
It is there now Rob. Paul Owen actually took the photos in the post but a link to my photos is in the first thread. He did a good job with words in the pics and all. Take a look. Jim
  • Page: