4 Dinky Toys from a collegue
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue

4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #1

<p>As some of you know, I have a new job from the first of August. Talking in my lunchbreak with my new collegues, the hobby topic came to surface. A few days later, I was surprised by one of them, he brought along a plastic bag with goodies, saying: "you are into these cars, you can rather have them instead of binning them".</p>
<p>Well, that was music to my ears and when I opend the bag, these came out</p>
<p><span style="font-size: 12.16px;">As you can see, the cars were heavily played with. I am am sure you recognize them, but for those who are not into Dinky Toys, the cars are the following:</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p>961 Blaw Knox bulldozer, yellow body, green track, grey blade. Missing the tan cast driver</p>
<p>150 Rolls Royce silver Wraith, repainted in silver, missing front and rear bumpers</p>
<p>516 French Dinky Mercedes Benz 230-SL, missing the window unit, the removable hardtop and a seat. If this is to be restored, all missing parts set me back at least 17 euros, so I realy have to consider this before restoring</p>
<p>80F French Dinky Renault Goulette Ambulance, missing the rear door and a piece of the casting under the door. Perhaps a contestant for a complete rebuild.</p>
<p>The Rolls Royce, will get a complete makeover and I am going to give that back to  my collegue as a present.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #2

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Wow, what I nice fellow employee. These will look great restored and I know what you mean about the 230 SL. I have a number of wrecks that need too many parts to make them work while to restore. I need donors cheap that those are really hard to come by here in BC, Canada. At least the flooding does not affect us here but west of us is a mess.

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Nice story. Kind collegue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Fantastic way to welcome you to the group. Sounds like you work with a good bunch. Looking forward to your restoration on the Knox

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #6

Tick,
I won't restore the Blaw Knox. Apart from adding a new driver and some tracks of course

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
It does look really good as is ( especially with tracks and operator )

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #8

Here is a quick update on the progress made on the Renault Ambulance. I have shown some photos already in a topic started by Corky. There is a story about a special Renault car transporter. First I shall show you a black and white photo, which is the only image I have of this c0mbination

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #9

The photo in the previous post shows a Renault Goulette (I have been told by the Renault fans at the NAMAC). I could not find a Renault Goulette as a scale model for a reasonable price, so the idea sprung to mind to chopping the Dinky Ambulance up and make my own version of the tractor. As the photo is black and white, I have no idea what the colour scheme of the tractor and trailer is. And as you can see, there is also a caterpillar.... So here are some steps of the process

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #10

This was as close as I could get to making the tractor, trying not to weaken the casting. I used some liquid metal to mount the trailer bed to the casting. After that, filing and sanding

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #11

Then there was the issue of the color. I decided to give the tractor an "oldfashioned" blue color. The base is connected with a M3 screw to the casting. I need to drill a hole into the bed for attaching the king pin from the trailer. Next is to find a suitable trailer. Any suggestion which one would fit?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
WOW. Looks great. Your talent is very impressive.

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Another great one there Theo. Nice colour too. Good work on getting the deck on the back and it looks strong.
If you have any old tanker trailers around one of them may work out for you. You could also adapt a Matchbox King Size trailer to this I think. Scale might be off a bit but...

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Very nice work, neat work on the back of the truck

Re: 4 Dinky Toys from a collegue 2 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Fantastique! Great work. It might also be called a Galion - the more powerful version of the Goelette! See 1958 here:
www.lesrenaultdepapier.fr/1000kg_galion.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL