Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Wow, can you tell us what you have been doing the past years?

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #17

Junior Boarder
<p>Chris,</p>
<p>Yes, 1972 indeed! That was the year of my first-ever visit to the UK as a 16-year-old, and as ever I was on the lookout for Dinky Toys. I purchased the Mini-Dinky Corvette (and maybe others) from a London newsagents, and was thereafter bemused by claims that Mini Dinkies had never been sold in Britain.</p>
<p>it is sometimes claimed that the “big 6”’ American Dinky Toys from Hong Kong were not sold in Britain either, but we know that is also untrue. It’s just that the outlets were different from the usual stockists.</p>
<p>i am sure your point that this was related to Tri-ang going bust in 1971 is spot-on (no pun intended). Of course as a young collector I had no idea what was going on.</p>
<p>Cheers!</p>
Last Edit: 3 years, 10 months ago by johnnyangel.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
<p>That was quick! I typed the question and you replied within a minute with a long story. although.......oops, not really the answer to my question......</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>Why do I have the feeling my question will not be answered......</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>johnnyangel wrote:
</p>
<p>Chris,</p>
<p>Yes, 1972 indeed! That was the year of my first-ever visit to the UK as a 16-year-old, and as ever I was on the lookout for Dinky Toys. I purchased the Mini-Dinky Corvette (and maybe others) from a London newsagents, and was thereafter bemused by claims that Mini Dinkies had never been sold in Britain.</p>
<p>it is sometimes claimed that the “big 6”’ American Dinky Toys from Hong Kong were not sold in Britain either, but we know that is also untrue. It’s just that the outlets were different from the usual stockists.</p>
<p>i am sure your point that this was related to Tri-ang going bust in 1971 is spot-on (no pun intended). Of course as a young collector I had no idea what was going on.</p>
<p>Cheers!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The Tri-ang crash in 1971 which also included Meccano sent shock waves in the toy industry at the time. Tri-ang had their own retail outlets and these disappeared overnight. Yes, areas were sold off but his spelled the beginning of the end for toy manufacture in the UK. One thing about Tri-ang is they realised that toy production in the Far East AKA Hong Kong was the future to remain profitable and indeed Mattels Hot Wheels line distributed everywhere except the USA were made in Hong Kong.</p>
<p>Regarding the Hong Kong Big 6 two were officially imported into the UK - the Rivieria and the Impala. Although neither were illustrated in the UK catalogues they were both mentioned in the price lists. I remember seeing them in a large Department store in the late 1960’s not in their toy section but in the bargain basement!</p>
<p>Hope this helps</p>
<p>Chris</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
<p>Keesie wrote:
</p>
<p>Why do I have the feeling my question will not be answered......</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Hi Keesie</p>
<p>Over the years I have still collected toy and model cars but haven’t posted here due to formatting issues plus I find it hard to include images nowadays. In the past all was well and there wasn’t these issues.</p>
<p>Hopefully, whoever owns this site now will start to put more effort into providing improvements. It isn’t going to last very long if it doesn’t.</p>
<p>Chris</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hi Chris, just trying to get members to be active, so that way it will be more interesting.</p>
<p>I know what you mean, we all have some sort of difficulties trying to place pictures and such and there were a lot of discussions about it. Also trying to make a longer post you are sometimes 'automaticly' logged off,  and lose your text. Sure hope things will be solved, but we keep saying that!</p>

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Hi Chris, nice to see you back if only for a short time.
Don't use any other box at the bottom to post your text but for the Quick Reply. No HTML mess then. Don't quote, just copy and paste in in a text box add your comment and post, again with the Quick Reply button.
Pictures can be added really easily with this link postimages.org/
Any other questions, just ask or email me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . We want this site to stay up so need members contributing. Then and only then will they think it is worth fixing. Heck, they don't even answer my emails anymore. Shame really as this is a great site and has lots of great members with masses of information.

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Not around here much anymore either, don't take it personal
My interests in hobbies have dissipated. Plus, I find the picture adding and lack of support by the owners of this forum frustrating. Post Image just doesn't work with my IT set up. Im in the process of setting up a home office and unpacking my collection so hopefully soon I will re-find my interest in my collection.

As for this post, Is it just me that cant see the images of this rare model?

Re: Rare find Tri-ang Top Gear Corvette 3 years, 10 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
I can see them and if you wish I can forward pictures to you. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Page: