Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Yeah, finally we know more about these cars. Kurt Becker had a daughter and two sons. They told me a lot about the company of KBK. And there where some more models. More about KBK in my new blog.
blog.vintage-racing-cars.com

But sorry, it is written in German. So please tried it with google translator. The translation is a little bit strange.

Last Edit: 8 years ago by pixmax.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Very interesting to read the link establishing the fact about KBK a small toy racing car diecast manufacturer post World War Two and its sad demise.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #18

Great article and I did not need the translator

It is so nice you actually had contact with the sons of Mr. Becker that makes it really special.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Routemaster!

You know my focus of interest is always on the racing cars. But KBK produced some nice other models. Here are som old pictures of a Buick Six (Eight) and a fantastic Hanomag.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I'll have to keep my eye out for these KBK's as the odd one may have made it to Australia. For lots of Post WW2 displaced people and migrants made it to our shores from Europe. There was this recruitment drive conducted by the government seeking workers in Europe for the Snowy Mountain hydro electric scheme and the dams needed to feed water for the generators took lots of skilled and labours to complete this massive task.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Or you can ask anakronismo (Paul). May be he have already some of these cars from the parcel. Good luck!

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Any idea why they call it a Buick Six ?

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #23

Platinum Boarder
No, no idea. Probably it is called right a "Buick Special Sedan". But I'll ask Günter Becker why they where called so. I don't remember good enough but I think the car was called so in Berlin. I don't remember the reason.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Ups, sorry, my mistake. It was called Buick Eight sad Mr. Becker. But I don't know these cars very much.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #25

Platinum Boarder
A very nice article, Google translator worked OK. Its a shame we do not have may other stories about our diecast manufacturers real live stories.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #26

Platinum Boarder
In 1924 Buick decided to fraze out the the small powered 4 cylinder engine in-favour for the in-line six cylinder block having the OHV (overhead valve) system known as the in-line 6 engine that made its debut in 1925. Buick had two types with the standard 6 cylinder having 50 horsepower while the Master 6 had 70 horsepower. In 1931 the Buick Straight 8 Fireball OHV made its debut into the vehicle trade and had a long history until 1953 when Buick adopted the V8 configuration.

I hope this bit of information can be of help.
Last Edit: 8 years ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Amazing how much know how is concentrated here in this forum. Thanks Jim, for your informations. And could you identify the KBK Buick?

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Hi pixmax the KBK Buick is a '46-'48 model, basically the same car just the grille is different each year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 8 years ago #29

Platinum Boarder
There were not many toys that survived from my childhood and this one didn't end up in my nephews little hands when I decided girls looked much better. Tryang Minic Buick taxi, although plastic windup has suffered from heat exposer over the last 60 odd years.

Do have some good reference pictures in some of my books on the Buick although I had to Paparazzi these images of the Master Six (straight 6 engine).

Below a 1941 Fireball Straight 8 engine in nearly original condition.

The image above probably came from a Motor Manual of the day.

I used to think those Buick grills were giant a mouth of teeth coming down to eat anything that was in its road.
Last Edit: 8 years ago by GunnerJim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 7 years ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Some things take time. But here is finally the second part of the story about KBK with a lot of pictures. Sadly in German.

Last Edit: 7 years ago by pixmax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, blackstone, Dinkydi, RoutemasterNL
  • Page: