A very uneventful swap meet, or........
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: A very uneventful swap meet, or........

A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>About ten days ago I was at a model car swapmeet which was held in combination with a hobby fair. It promised to be a rather busy event. I was there, rented a table to try and sell some of my surplus stuff.</p>
<p>I have lost count but I think I saw no more than 50 people who took the pain to look at model cars which were offered for sale by about 40 sellers. And that was all. My sales amounted to 6 Euros for the whole of the day. Big deal..............</p>
<p>The many people who visited this combined fair were more interested in stuff like how to make greeting cards, drawing, painting, knitwear, and all kinds of haberdashery.</p>
<p>I spent 15 euro on 3 cars which I found at a table full of plastic built cars in all sorts of scales. But, and that is the positive side of the story, these 3 cars were very interesting indeed.  As you will see from the pic they are a bit dirty, Correct, the whole table was stuffed with models with a big layer of 50+ years old grime and dust. Found is a shed; owner to the eternal hunting grounds and no relatives with  any kind of interest in the model car collection, but finally put up for sale.</p>
<p>The three cars are all 1/32 scale Monogram sportscars from 1965. They were complete and rather well built. The green one a Lola GT MK6 (pretty rare) the middle one a Porsche 904 and the "red'one a Ferrari 250 GTO 64/LM (one very desirable item). 5 Euros each is a snip considering they can fetch upto 20 times that amount when in prime and/or unbuilt condition.</p>
<p>Meanwhile they are cleaned and restored and a welcome supplement to my slot car collection.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
anthropology jobs salary</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #2

what a shame it was not that busy. But at least you came home with some rarer cars.
please show some photos when you cleaned the three up

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Always a treat to see what people get at these swap meets in England and Europe. Too bad the turn out was so poor for the sellers but you seem to have scored bit time. Slot Cars, would be interested in seen the underside to compare to the 1:32 scale cars I have.

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Those cars look great in "as found" condition a great find.

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>I will show the clean result soon, although I was really tempted to leave them as they were. The patina of 50+ years of dust is a testimony of their age and history, but in the end I decide against it; they were just too dirty to display.</p>
<p>Pictures of the slotrace as well as the static versions will follow tomorrow, for you to enjoy. Thanks for your reactions so far.</p>
<p>Gerrit.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>Following up on the subject of the cars I found at that uneventful swapmeet. Let me start to tell you something about the origin of these Monogram 1/32 scale cars. In 1965 Monogram produced, amongt others, a series of 5 plastic model kits in 1/32 scale. These kits, a Ferrari 275 P1, Ferrari 250 GTO/LM, Cooper Ford (a.k.a. the King Cobra), Lola GT MK6 and Porsche 904 were very true and well detailed models which could be easily constructed as a static model or used as a body to be put on a slot race chassis. Easy to build, not many parts, but ever so well made. My very first model kit of my life was a Monogram Ferrari 275 P1 which I got for my 13th birthday from one of my sisters. I glued the pieces together to make it into a static model. Slotracing was not on my radar yet. I forgot what happened to the model, but it got lost, destroyed or whatever. Below is a 275 P1 (static model) which is now part of my collection. Recently I bought it from a Spaniard. It needed a little restoration (some small parts were missing) and I gave it a clear coat of lacker to brighten it up, but otherwise it was just as it should be 54 years ago. Very happy to have it back. The real car won the 1964 Le Mans 24h race.
Having built that model I was curious to get more of these, so my next model kit was another Monogram item, the Ferrari 250 GTO/LM. That one also disappeared. But meanwhile I have six of these cars in my collection, 3 static models (one a very rare and precious unbuilt kit from 1965) and 3 slot racers. Let me start to show you the result of the restoration of the red car which I bought at the recent swapmeet. Cleaned, new axles, clear coated and new decals as the originals did not survive the years. The other two swapmeet items to follow soon. 
Next comes the second static model, with original (brittle) decals which I also bought from the previous mentioned Spaniard a couple of months ago. Lovely item.
This is the (new old stock) unbuilt kit from 1965, a real gem including all the box candy.
The following one is a re-issue by Revell/Monogram of a ready to run slot racer. I bought this one brand new, which was not easy/cheap, stuff like this is sold out in no time. Let me add that this car is not suited for professional racing; better use it on a home track.
Apart from these ready to run re-issues, the MRRC (Model Road Racing Company) got the consent from Revell to re-produce Monogram bodies with accessories. This offered me the opporunity the build my own slot race model as if it was a kit from the past. In fact I made two of these. The first shown below is a home track car the second a full blood racer, suited for professional competition.<br />
The chassis of the 2nd shown below is a 3D printed item by Shapeways, the motor bracket, wheels, tires, axles, gears etc. are from Slot.it. The difference between the two racers is quite evident. Spraying, detaling of the body/car and the whole construction has been done by myself.
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Very interesting write up, thanks. I have learned a lot and the racers seem to have the same braided or woven metal wires or contacts to connect to the track power rails embedded in the track.
The Cars and set I have upstairs was bought for me when I was a young teenager by my father. It is a Revell and it was so much fun. It is the same scale as these I think. I will have to dig it out of the closet and take some pictures. Not as fancy as your cars but it was a lot of fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
<p>Yes Jim, love from the past still going strong. I am not so much a Ferrari fan as you might think, but racers from the '60's era really my thing. The Ford vs Ferrari battle at Le Mans in the sixties my main topic. I have loads of them. Your Revell racer might be this 1/32 Ferrari GTO from 1962/3, they had a different body than my '64 GTO's, as should be. I like that car and I had one of these, many moons ago.
</p>
<p>
gas station near me now</p>

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Sorry but I was mistaken. I have too much in my closet and mistook the Revell Train set I have for the slot car set. The set is actually an Eldon US made race set. I have 5 cars, one being bought at the local hobby shop after the set was given to me for Xmas one year. I think that was 1964 as the cars look that era. I have a Ferrari, the one I bought after I got the set. It has sponge rubber tires on it for grip. I got these at the hobby shop too. The other car in this photo is a 1964 Pontiac Bonneville They are very old and I decaled them up.

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Above you can see that I am on the start/finish line and you can see the power connection to the right top of the track.
There are three sections in this photo.
Below is the other 3 cars I have that came with the Pontiac in the set.
Red 1963 Thunderbird, Blue 1963 Chevrolet Impala and the purple or mauve repaint, it was white, 1963 Dodge but I can find a picture on the net of the real car. All the bodies have Eldon Corp 1963 Eldon Industries Inc. the next line says Hawthorne with Made in USA underneath that and U.S. Pat. Pend

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I have two motor chassis so can only race two at a time but that is all the track is meant for. I still have all the track, controls, power supply and the track man, lap counters, railings etc. It is a Made In Canada Product and has a Canadian made Power Supply.
I even have the back half of a 1964 Corvette in the box. Don't remember doing a butcher job on this car and don't have anything other than the back half of the body, basically the rear roof, rear window and body.

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim your stuff looks just very attractive and original. Another piece of slot race history/brand which is rather unknown overhere. I know Eldon but most slot race people don't.That Ferrari is meant to be 1961-ish Testa Rossa although the modelling is a bit vague.

I have an Eldon Ford J-car in my collection which I have put on an MRRC chassis.

There is a slot race museum in L.A., its is called LASCM lascm.com/ but they don't have any Eldon stuff, as far as I know, which is strange. I believe that Eldon was a part of, or taken over by Strombecker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The second car from the swapmeet was a Porsche 904, also
called the Carrera GTS.
In real life this car was a much used car by the works
and private teams. It was however a small engine sized
car. Four, six and eight cylinder engines were used varying
from 1500 to 2000cc. Not any kind of threat towards Ferrari
or Ford, but these cars were reliable and did finish in
the points many a time. There is a spyder version which
was practically unbeatable in hill climbing.

The Monogram model is a very true copy of the car. It is
however a very narrow car which means that roadholding in
slot racing is a big issue. The car is either in the slot or
on its roof.

I cleaned the model which showed how dull and brittle the
decals have become over the years. But nevertheless I am
quite happy with this funny treasure as it completes my static
Monogram stable.

I also have three ready to run 904's, one from Revell/Monogram
re-issue and two by MRRC. They are cute.

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #14

you are a great source of information on Monogram slotcars, thanks Gerrit. It seems to me that Monogram are the "Rolls Royce" in slotcar"land", so your connection to them is clear now

Re: A very uneventful swap meet, or........ 1 year, 3 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Well you know me Theo, when I dig into a certain subject which attracts me, I dig in deep, very deep.
Price wise Monogram were not the most expensive in them days.
Slot race cars from Cox were for the people with deeper pockets.
But Monogram was just a sniff prettier.

There is one Monogram slot race kit/car which I would love to have. It is a 1/24 scale model of a Ford GT40 roadster. In real life only 5 of these were made. One is for sale on Ebay (mint, boxed and untouched, still in its original package) But it is bloody expensive. I might need to robb a bank (plofkraak) to get it.

• Page: