Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it?

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #16

Junior Boarder
<p>When I do, it's fine, but then if I want to edit, it puts them in; same with "Quote" or any other option. I've never seen another forum do that.</p>
<p>I posted this as a "Quick reply" just now, and it was fine; I go into "edit" the comment (to add this part), and it'll be messed-up. Bad glitch?</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Turbo301.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #17

Junior Boarder
<p>RoutemasterNL wrote:
That is a nice Datsun, is it a Celica?
</p>
<p>I believe it's a late-'70s Gloria.</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
<p>Turbo301 wrote:
</p>
<p>When I do, it's fine, but then if I want to edit, it puts them in; same with "Quote" or any other option. I've never seen another forum do that.</p>
<p>I posted this as a "Quick reply" just now, and it was fine; I go into "edit" the comment (to add this part), and it'll be messed-up. Bad glitch?</p>
<p>
<br /><br />The forums are using an old format and really 'badly' need to be upgraded, which I'm sure they will in due course.<br /><br />I'm sure others will explain further.</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
<p>Turbo301 wrote:
</p>
<p>Any idea why these stupid HTML code elements keep showing up in my posts?!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Please read my post #10, it tells you what to do and this has been an ongoing problem for over a year now. I am in contact again with Administration to have this fixed but in the mean time we are suffering with it. Use the "QUICK REPLY" ONLY. You have to uses start a new thread but just start it with a sentence and then submit it. Go into detail on the next page.</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>Turbo301 wrote:
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>As I said before and just above, the site is having problems. I will explain.</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Use quick reply and try not to edit. All others have the HTML code embedded for some glitchy reason.
The site was started in England in about 2007 by two guys who had great ambitions and were avid toy car collectors. I was asked by them to join in 2008 and I came on as a moderator.
Back then this site was pretty good and had lots of active members and many many moderators. I think there are only 2 now Niall and Theo. I fill in where I can and answer questions etc but am no longer a moderator. I contact Administration from time to time.
The site was sold in about 2012 to a firm in Ontario called MassMedia and they did not realize what they had purchased. The site had inflated it's membership by buying out Mike Zarnock ( the Hot Wheels guru in the USA) old website and forum and we migrated 122,000 members over. Most of them were not even active but it made the site look really good for resale.
The site was sold to MassMedia and the membership started dropping. The contests were gone, The blog fell into disrepair and only relevant blogs were picked up and posted, some automatically. The site kept deteriorating as it was not making money for Massmedia and so it was sold again, to our current owners.
The new owners have had it for a few years now. They are VerticalScope. You can see the link at the bottom of most pages. They also own Hobby Talk which was also owned by the original owners.
VerticalScope has a large number of sites the own and regulate. Same was true with MassMedia. Both companies are based in Ontario, Canada. Toronto area now. I think MM was in Ottawa.
Over a year ago, due to the problems with this site and other sites VS owns, they migrated all their sites up to Google Cloud. When the time came to move them to the new server (that was why the move, newer and faster computers) they downloaded from the Google Cloud and we now have what we have.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #22

I have never heard of a Datsun Gloria. Must be an Asian or American issued car only and not in Europe

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I will continue...
Our site program is unlike any other sites that VS owns and they have been trying to understand it. It is complicated beyond measure and that makes it hard for them to find the glitches. That is why we get left alone from time to time and I try to Prod the Admin about it then.
Most recent was a couple days ago and some of you will remember Philip B coming on as Admin or Admin-s and trying to explain. There have been quite a few but it never seems to help.
We do not make the owners much money so they don't work too hard to fix us.
Last year another Administration crew took over the site and they were trying to get us migrated over to a brand New Platform. I don't know how that is going but Philip is back in the mix and hopefully he will help us out. I emailed him and sent links to some of the thread where problems have been posted and added in the latest glitches about the PM system and timing out. I now copy what I print here before I post as from time to time I get logged out. That too should not be happening.
I am in the hopes that soon we will have a new platform. Many here have requested that and I think they are working to that end but as our program is so old and totally different from all the rest they administer I am not sure how much or our data will be lost. This something we as a group do not want to have happen and they are aware of that. Many things have been suggested over this time period and all is considered and some applied.
Keep using a third party Photo Poster (postimage works well), there are quite a few out there. If anyone is having problems post it in the Bugs, Issues and Ideas section at the bottom of the Forums page. Admin will be looking there from time to time.
New members can take a look first as most problems are there and you can get answers. If not, post there and I and Theo at least will be reading them. Many of our members here are very long term and some joined before me in 2008 and are still here but don't post as often as they used to and we have lost an enormous amount of members due to the site problems. I do know that many of them do come and read but don't post. Maybe we can get them back. There were some world class collectors and very knowledgable people in that group and we are luck to still have a number of them as active posters.
Keep your fingers crossed that this is the year we get a new site.
Jim, you can contact me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it if you wish.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I have not heard of a Gloria either so I don't think it is a North American Issue.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Popped Datsun Gloria into Google search. It is actually a Nissan car. I remember when the Datsun 510 came out in the 1960's here in Canada and the badging was calling it a Datsun by Nissan. In the 1980's I think, they changed that to Nissan by Datsun. Now they are just Nissan. Here is some of what Wikipedia says.

The Gloria (Japanese: 日産・グロリア) is a large luxury car made from 1959 by the Prince Motor Company, and later by Nissan Motors since its merger with the former - hence being originally marketed as Prince Gloria and later as Nissan Gloria. Initially based on the smaller Prince Skyline, the Gloria line was merged with Nissan Cedric starting with 1971 models and both continued until 2004, when they were both replaced by Nissan Fuga.

Glorias were sold at Nissan Prince Shop dealerships that were formerly affiliated with the Prince company; when Nissan assumed operations, Glorias were sold along with the Nissan Skyline. The Prince G engine was used in the Gloria until 1969.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
1973 Nissan Gloria 4 door Hardtop

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #27

Junior Boarder
<p>Nissan = Datsun, yes. The Gloria wasn't sold in any guise in North America, in any generation, to my knowledge; Glorias/Cedrics were sold in Europe, though (at least some of the later generations).</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Turbo301.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
If you want more info on the Gloria and its successive models go here.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Gloria

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
This looks more like your model. Nissan Cedric (nee Gloria) 230 2 door

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Previous Picture credits.
By TTTNIS - Own work, Public Domain, commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27544894