Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it?

Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #1

Junior Boarder
<p>My brother got an inexpensive Datsun diecast as a kid, and not surprisingly, it didn't survive well. He was able to replace it with a mint example not long ago, and just recently I scored this decent copy myself. However, I've only ever seen our copies plus one on-line for sale (and that was at a head-scratching $200), and all of these - save my new one - have five-spoke wheels. This new one I got has Matchbox-esque wheels.</p>
<p>I've only recently learned a bit about Universal and their products, but really don't know a lot, and I was wondering if this Datsun is as rare as the one on-line seller suggests; if so, is this Matchbox wheel-shod example rarer? Would it be earlier or later than the 5-spoke version (I would guess the latter)? Is this mould a re-hash of someone else's (a Tomica, for example)?</p>
<p>Thanks for any help!</p>
<p><span style="font-size: 15.2px;">drive.google.com/file/d/1c9nmnEoKgz3GKxa...;/span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: 15.2px;">drive.google.com/file/d/1ec8xNw_oxrQTXzW...;/span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: 15.2px;">drive.google.com/file/d/1Fq2bc0dddyrTRfu...;/span></p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Turbo301.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Kevin will probably know about Universal toys. I am sure he will answer your questions when he is on-line.
Good luck, Jim, also in Canada

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Try using www.postimage.org for posting picture. Choose the third from the bottom after loading your picture from your computer.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #4

Junior Boarder
<p>Ah, I've never heard of that utility before. Here goes nothing!</p>
<p><span style="font-size: 15.2px;">
</span></p>
</span></p>
</span></p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Yup, those are the thumbnails. You can click on them for a larger picture. You can also upload a larger picture with the Hotlink for Forums, third from the bottom. Here is an example

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Wow, you have tiny pictures. Should be much larger

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>
[/url]</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #8

Junior Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
Wow, you have tiny pictures. Should be much larger
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When you click on the thumbnail it takes you to the larger image; at least it does for me...</p>
<p>I'm still getting used to the "Postimage" thing, so I don't know all of its features. I think I found the right one, though, so I'll try it next.</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
<p>Here, how's this?</p>
<p> </p>
</span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: 15.2px;"><br /></span></p>
</span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: 15.2px;"><br /></span></p>
</span></p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Much better and I don't have to click and go somewhere else and then come back here. Also easier to compare pictures like this. NOW you just need to ONLY use the "Quick Reply " button on the bottom right of the page and then don't edit unless you have to. That way the HTML will not appear. Taking out the advertising from ImagePost is a bit harder and takes some practice if you don't know HTML code.
Any idea how old this model is?

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Nice model, shame that Matchbox didn't go with street cars at this time instead of all the engine poking out of bonnet things they did in the 70's. Not having a go at matchbox as I have quite a few of these models they were what was around during my childhood.

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #12

Junior Boarder
<p>Andy66, I agree, even as a kid I always liked stock, "regular" cars, and hated seeing hot-rodded versions of cars I otherwise would have liked (and, as it turns out, were often done as stock models in earlier years, before I was born). That, and turning cars into taxis or police cars bugged me, too.</p>
<p>As for this Datsun, I'm guessing it'd date from the Kidco era, so late '70s to very early '80s. That'd fit with when my brother got his, too.</p>
<p>Although it's not a common model, I'm a bit surprised at the one site that was selling it for $200. I can't see it being worth that. My example with the different wheels seems to be quite unique, though.</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #13

Junior Boarder
<p>Any idea why these stupid HTML code elements keep showing up in my posts?!</p>

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
you are replying using 'quick reply' right?

Re: Universal Datsun - anyone know anything about it? 1 year, 3 months ago #15

That is a nice Datsun, is it a Celica?