The Governor of Hong Kong
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Governor of Hong Kong

The Governor of Hong Kong 3 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
The Governor of Hong Kong was the representative in Hong Kong of the British Crown from 1843 to 1997. In this capacity the governor was president of the Executive Council and Commander-in-Chief of British Forces Overseas Hong Kong.

In 1961 during the governance of Sir Robert Brown Black (probably a bi-color person) a Rolls Royce Phantom V state limousine landaulette was ordered through coach builders Park Ward. This car, chassis 5BV7, is one of three (almost) similar designs. The other two were built for president Habib Bourguiba of Tunesia and Elisabeth Bowes-Lyon, the late Queen Mother (a model of that car is on its way from Shanghai to me at present).

After the "surrender" of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China this car was quickly removed by the Royal Navy and brought back to England before greedy Chinese hands could seize it. Since then it has not been shown in public anywhere. So where is it??
In stead the Chinese manufacturer Classic Models made this 1/43 replica:

Spotted along Garden Road in Hong Kong in May 1975 when QERII and Prince Philip were visiting The Crown Colony.

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: The Governor of Hong Kong 3 years, 5 months ago #2

A good thing the British shipped the RR

Sir Robert had all his cars painted in black and brown I suppose?

Re: The Governor of Hong Kong 3 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Well only the dash is brown-ish the rest is all black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: The Governor of Hong Kong 3 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Gerrit, I had this little Royal procession go through my garden to day all "Made in Hong Kong"

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: The Governor of Hong Kong 3 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
That is a very nice display Andy. Hmm that second Rolls Royce; looks a bit familiar to me, but maybe I am just dreaming.

I guess you we standing to attention and saluting all the time, until the queen was out of sight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66

Re: The Governor of Hong Kong 3 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
you are not dreaming & it compliments the Royal Rolls very well , many thanks
  • Page: