Another James Young Phantom V
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another James Young Phantom V

Another James Young Phantom V 3 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
It goes without saying that JY is my fav coach builder, especially the cars built by them after 1945 until they shut shop in 1967.

The factory was burnt out during the blitz of 1941, rebuilt and then badly damaged by a flying bomb. Twice "lucky" one might say.

The model I show is a Chinese made Classic Model Phantom V with the blinded rear quarters and dummy pram irons as well as a small rear window (privacy in the backseat was required). The real car is quoted on a site as being chassis 5LVA105, the same as the HIS car I showed previously, which has many similar features. Only this new one has the 'normal' quad headlights instead of the big R100's. I have my doubts about the chassis number so I am gonna search further. 5LVA105 is a subject of debate anyway. It seems this chassis had many body conversions, and the reality got lost on the way.

The real car:

I did not buy this model in China, I found it second hand on Ebay UK. The pictures of the ad were a bit vague so I started making inquiries. All in all it was quite okay so I bought it but not before I told seller that something was absolutely wrong with the display case. The plaque on the base of the case shows: Chapron Limousine 1961 chassis number 5LAT50. So I questioned seller about a swap or anything, but he said he knew nothing about it. Probably a factory blooper. Next he offered me free shipping. Thank you very much.

Chapron is a French coachbuilder and 5LAT50 is this:

So here it is:

Finally the reg plate on the real car shows: My Way and that reminds me of a friend of mine who died 15 years ago. He was a nice guy but unfortunately married to a horrible woman who kept him under her thumb in a dreadful way. What a life he had. He died much too young.

During his funeral the Sinatra song I did it MYYYYYY WAYYYYYYYY was played.

And I thought, an ironic smile on my face: with that woman...................

Re: Another James Young Phantom V 3 years, 5 months ago #2

The lines are well captured. Is the rear window a bit too large on the model?

Great photo of the factory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: Another James Young Phantom V 3 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
 Is the rear window a bit too large on the model?

Yes it is the "Chinese way" of dealing with privacy...............
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Ecclesley.
  • Page: